UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2015, 11:44 am   #1
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Default Eddystone 888A & High Impedance Headphones

Dear Reader (!) - I believe this problem must be a common one but I haven't found much discussion on it. Apologies if it's already been done to death on some other thread.

I have a vintage comrad and the specification says the headphones need to be a high impedance between 2000 and 4000 ohms. Has anyone found any? The old SGBrowns and Ericssons seem to have completely disappeared.

I've searched long and strong and newer Hi-Imps don't seem to exist. The best I can find are used ex-aviation Telex 610 phones at 600 ohms from USA (from our favourite buying site).

Does anyone have any experience of using the ubiquitous low impedance phones with or without some sort of interface?

Thanks in advance. Pete
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 12:12 pm   #2
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Eddystone 888A & High Impedance Headphones

No, I haven't. But may I make one remark that is relevant in practice?
Prior to connecting a pair of low-Z 'phones to an item that specifies high-Z ones, I would suggest that a look at the cct. diag. of the equipment first would be a good idea. Essentially, in doing that, what you are looking for is enough information to determine if the source of the signal to operate the 'phones comes from a low-ish impedance source. If it is low, then you should be O.K. to proceed. Otherwise an impedance matching device will be required, such as a transformer.

Al.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 12:19 pm   #3
Station X

Default Re: Eddystone 888A & High Impedance Headphones

Circuit here:-

http://eddystoneusergroup.org.uk/Man...l%20888Av2.pdf

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Nov 2015, 6:04 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The "high impedance" phones appear to be being connected to the anode of the output-valve via a capacitor, and using the output transformer as an audio-frequency choke.

Given the general unavailability of *comfortable* high-impedance phones, it would be dead simple to rewire the phones-socket so you could use modern more-easily-obtainable phones fed from the output-transformer secondary.

That's what I've done in the past, so allowing me to use low-impedance phones [usually an "Airlite-62" headset as used by the wonderful Brian Trubshaw in his Concorde-test-pilot days].
Old 25th Nov 2015, 6:22 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

If comfort is not too much of an issue then you can find high impedance old headphones on Ebay normally at a fair price.
Old 26th Nov 2015, 10:59 am   #6
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Thanks for comments guys. The phones are only likely to be in use occasionally, mainly for late night use when I'm still too awake to sleep. My study/shack is next to the master bedroom and I dont want great dx 5 and 9's waking my mrs. So resolving this is a convenience rather than a desperate need. What I have done for now is to buy the ex aviation 600 ohm phones and a 4000/600 ohm audio trf. I'll set that up and see how it goes. rgds, pete
Old 26th Nov 2015, 11:41 am   #7
turretslug
Dekatron

This deriving of headphone output technique seems to be common across a number of Eddystones, with the output valve anode isolation capacitor feeding a potential divider consisting of (often!) a 33k and something around 1k (varied a bit). In other words, a resistive output impedance of a bit less than a kilohm. So, it'll be pretty tolerant of loading- a low impedance headset may produce disappointingly low output but at least it won't result in harm or distortion. Whilst the potting-down may reduce DC potential effects of isolating capacitor leakage, there's always the chance of the lower resistor going O/C and a nasty tingle- it might be prudent to replace the original isolating capacitor with a reputable 1kV type.
Old 14th Dec 2015, 6:29 pm   #8
carnivalpete
Tetrode

As a final footnote on this topic it may be of interest to note that the Telex 610 600 ohm phones turned up from the USA a few days ago. They have a standard quarter inch jack and they work well on a 888A without the need for any matching transformer. So, issue resolved. rgds, pete
Old 14th Dec 2015, 9:37 pm   #9
m0cemdave
Octode

Some of the older Sennheiser hi-fi headphones were 2000 ohms (early versions of HD414 and HD424). Many of the older AKG pro-audio headphones (K240 etc) are 600 ohms. They sometimes appear on the secondhand market.

The industry standard Beyer DT100 and its derivatives have been available in various impedences - 2000, 800, and 600 ohm versions occasionally turn up, as well as the usual 400 ohm type.
Closed Thread