UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2016, 4:43 pm   #1
AlanC
Hexode

Default Bush TR90C tuning scale

I was lucky enough to win this TR90C on eBay, I've been wanting one for a while as I used to have one years ago and I like the look of them. Plus its another for my growing Bush collection...

Its an early Mk1 model with the OC44 etc transistors- which is what I had hoped it would be. It works electrically very well- its amazingly sensitive on both bands, the speaker's fine and the volume pot isn't even scratchy! So I'm very pleased with its performance.

Shame about the cosmetics though

Well, the cabinet is actually generally in quite good condition, the Bush round emblem and the handle are both present. However, the dial isn't so hot and of course this is what you generally stare at!

What, if anything, can be done with the tuning scale? It looks like the red paint has sort of powdered and smeared off somehow- apologies for the poor photos showing the set 'as received' but maybe you can see what I mean.

Looking at the assembly closely without dismantling anything, it looks as though the painted part is 'sandwiched' against a piece of clear plastic; it might be that if I can get at it, I can at least tidy it up a bit; maybe get it off the clear part where it has ended up.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this kind of work on a TR90C and if so, what would you advise?

Thanks,
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	118756   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	118757   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	118758   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	118759  
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 5:07 pm   #2
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Bush TR90C tuning scale

Hi,
Seems to be quite common with these ,I had one years ago with the same sort of damage, you can separate the dial from the backing and I did repaint the red bit on mine and it looked fine from the front. I was lucky, though, as it was only damaged on the red areas.
Steve.
Old 22nd Jan 2016, 5:34 pm   #3
AlanC
Hexode

Default Re: Bush TR90C tuning scale

Thanks Steve, I might give it a crack then.