UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2016, 11:55 am   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default Lancaster Bomber Radio equipment.

HI peeps. In the Daily Express for last week, there was a picture of a Lancaster in the closing stages of WW2. There was an accompanying photo showing the radio operator and part view of his radio. It was certainly not an 1155/1154, which I thought was only fitted in Lancs and other "heavies". This looked like a Bendix or other. I am sure there are members that can fill in the basic details please.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 12:11 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Lancaster Bomber Radio equipment.

Is this the article you mean?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/629...lf-Hitler-home

If so, the radio looks very much like one of the US BC-348 series (which served the same sort of purpose as the R1155 did and was indeed fitted to some British heavy bombers...)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c/c6/Bc348.png for a picture.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 12:13 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

There were a few hundred Canadian-built Lancasters which did have Bendix radio kit- I assume that this would have been similar to contemporary B17 and B24 four-engine fitment.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 1:12 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I was in an airworthy lanc rather a lot of years ago at Squire's Gate, and it did indeed have a BC-348 in it. A much better set than the R1155 in my mind. I don't remember which transmitter was paired with it, I just remember the 348 because a friend's father used one with this LG300 TX.

As was usual for US kit several manufacturers made BC-348s and Bendix was one. Bendix-King are still a large player in avionics.

David
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 1:57 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Well thats cleared that up then... Thanks all....

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 3:26 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Definetely a 348 but I've not seen one in any context before so thanks for the post and the links. On Tuesday 29/12/14 CH5 repeated what the Dambusters Did Next? Only caught the beginning but there was a shot of of a Lancaster Radio installation. Not sure if this was original or a mock up but the program may be on whatever catch-up system 5 is running?
Dave W
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 11:38 am   #7
Peter.G0DRT
Pentode

The BC348s companion transmitter was usually a Collins ART13.These radios were built to a high standard and are still used by enthusiasts like myself.

Cheers Peter.
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 12:21 pm   #8
M0SOE_Bruce
Pentode

They were in common use with the RCAF. This photo is a Canadian Lanc with the ART13 xmtr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lancaster2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	117743  
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 12:41 pm   #9
Wendymott
Octode

Another related question..... Who decided as to the frequencies used on a "raid" and in general what frequencies were used ??

Regards
Wendy G8BZY

Last edited by AC/HL; 3rd Jan 2016 at 3:49 pm. Reason: Please raise a new thread for the second (unrelated) question.
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 8:26 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There was a rather complicated cross-services bureaucracy associated with HF frequency-allocation during WWII. Not only did they have to consider the fundamentals but also - given the questionable filtering on the output-stages of some transmitters - the harmonics too [Frequency-doubling in the PA didn't help here; likewise the "short" mast-behind-the-cockpit-to-the-rudder HF antennas on aircraft would often radiate better on the harmonics than on the fundamental].

They also needed to consider the frequencies the enemy were using! Avoiding these was generally a good plan but sometimes it was worthwhile identifying them (and presetting them) so you could use your T1154 transmitter to radiate noise from a microphone in the engine nacelles as a jammer [see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsel_%28codename%29 ]

For aircraft, HF operation was typically between 5 and 15MHz - lower frequencies used at night. Aircraft had the advantage of elevation and so 'line-of-sight', whereas ground-to-ground often needs to use lower frequencies to get some "NVIS" component especially when trying to cover the interesting gap between groundwave and skywave. Of course low frequencies are a major disadvantage both for the aircraftsman and the ground-signaller because they mean using electrically-short antennas.

The frequencies used by current "VOLMET" HF transmitters can give you a good idea of the sorts of frequencies used during WWII for ground-to-air comms.
Old 4th Jan 2016, 12:17 am   #11
Wendymott
Octode

Thanks Tanuki. 73's

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread