UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2018, 4:33 pm   #1
Family_Dog
Triode

Default Decca G300 FM Tuner info required

Hi All,

I was given a Decca FM Tuner, small vertically mounted tuner that probably formed part of some other gear at a distant time in the past.

I can not find anything related to this tuner on the internet, specifically looking for a service manual or schematic. Will appreciate any help that may be provided.

-F_D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca G300 FM Tuner.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	162755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca G300 FM Tuner Rear Panel.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	162756  
Old 13th May 2018, 7:04 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca G300 FM Tuner info required

I have had a search on line and found nothing, from the construction it looks like it’s made in Hong Kong or Japan but I know nothing of South African manufacturers so it could be made in your country.

Does it work, have you had a look inside?
Old 13th May 2018, 7:31 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The wrap-around case and Masonite back panel look distinctly 1970s and Oriental. FM broadcasting started in South Africa in 1961, and was in mono until the late 1980s, so it may not have a built-in stereo decoder (but you can nick the stereo decoder IC out of any 1980s boom box and mount it on a piece of breadoard; the transformer should be able to spare a few milliamps).

The form factor is definitely unusual ..... Was it meant to stand alongside its matching amplifier and maybe a cassette deck?
Old 13th May 2018, 8:10 pm   #4
Family_Dog
Triode

Might well have been made locally under the Decca name, and I am pretty certain it formed part of some budget gear. The Masonite rear panel does cheapen it, bit of a let down for what is marked 'Decca'.

I have not yet opened it, will do so. It is fitted with a USA 2-pin ac power plug but I am pretty sure it will be 220v AC operation, will check on this when I open it.

-F_D
Old 13th May 2018, 8:23 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
It is fitted with a USA 2-pin ac power plug but I am pretty sure it will be 220v AC operation, will check on this when I open it.
That kind of suggests that it might be meant to plug into a matching amplifier; 1970s amps often had a pair of USA-style sockets, wired via the main power switch, for a turntable or tape deck and tuner, so the whole system could be turned on and off with one switch and only use up one wall socket.
Old 14th May 2018, 7:44 pm   #6
Family_Dog
Triode

Yep, those were my thoughts as well. I will open it and confirm 220v before sending it to a smoking finish.

-F_D
Closed Thread