UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2008, 6:52 pm   #1
studiot
Pentode

Default Solder Gun Bits

I have an old solder gun (not Weller) that I no longer have any bits for. The bits were basically a length of thick wire heated from the transformer in the handle.

Improvisation advice welcome as to source of suitable wire to cut new bits from and any information on likely required resistance.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 1st Feb 2008 at 7:06 pm. Reason: Title edited.
Old 1st Feb 2008, 7:05 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Soler Gun Bits

A suitable length of heavy gauge copper wire will work well enough.

When I started out the bench irons used where I worked were basically a transformer mounted on a handle and the bit was exactly that.

On occasion I have used the same makeshift on my beloved Weller two heat gun - now a venerable 40 years old and still going!

Incidentally the Weller bits are still available at DIY superstores and might be worth a try.

Regards,
Old 1st Feb 2008, 7:17 pm   #3
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Solder Gun Bits

A friend of mine at school had a Weller soldering gun and he reckoned the proper bits lasted no time at all and were dear. He used a piece of brass curtain ring in his and it seemed to survive.

Copper bits don't last long in an ordinary iron, but with a soldering gun, you tend to use it to wire up a plug, or speaker connection, so the bit isn't hot for many minutes a day, even if you are using it a lot.

Some of them have a very thick wire (4mm?) with a section about 2cm long and 2mm thick in the middle which gets hot.

Pete.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 12:30 am   #4
Mullard
Pentode

Try 2.5mm T&E cable as used for power circuit ring main wiring. The stripped live and neutral wires make excellent replacements for Weller and other solder guns. Just bend the wire to shape and squeeze the bend at the tip with a pair of pliers to form the bit.

John
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 12:49 am   #5
ALANS ANITAS
Rest in Peace

Machine Mart sell a "non Weller " solder gun. I would expect them to have spares, that might fit.

2.5mm copper wire would be rather too bendy for an iron tip. 4.0mm would be better.

Regards

ALAN
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 12:57 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I used to use 1/16" brazing rod and hammer the end to flatten it.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 1:28 pm   #7
Mullard
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANS ANITAS View Post
Machine Mart sell a "non Weller " solder gun. I would expect them to have spares, that might fit.

2.5mm copper wire would be rather too bendy for an iron tip. 4.0mm would be better.

Regards

ALAN
Worked for me, but I didn't try 4 mm.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 2:03 pm   #8
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

There is another approach. My soldering gun cost £6 from Lidl, it came with three nice plated bits and a three year guarantee. I've used it a lot and it's fine. The bumf says you can get spare bits from their agents. I believe Aldi do a similar thing a few times a year.

I've seen new soldering guns at car boot sales for £3. with no spare bits.

Otherwise unless a Weller or some other bit fits, Mike Phelan's solution sounds the best. Brazing rod is stiffer than copper wire.

Pete.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 6:39 pm   #9
studiot
Pentode

All the copper wire solutions I tried burnt out to quickly. I have had more success with abot 25-30 mm of soft iron tying wire.

I measured 0.3 volts AC at the terminals and the gadget says 100 Watts.

I'll see how long the iron wire lasts and post some more at some point.
Closed Thread