UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2018, 12:45 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default ‘Temco’ synchronous electric clock runs backwards

I recently fitted a new flex to this Temco alarm clock for a friend. The self-starting motor ran perfectly, insulation resistance was >20 Meg and the coil resistance was around 6k, and all was fine so she took it home. Two days later she plugged it in and it ran backwards.

My question is, do Temco self-starting clock motors have a direction reversing device like the Smiths Bijou, or is it just 50:50 that it’ll run clockwise?

Sorry I don’t know the model number, but it originally had a switched mains output for a bedside light (now disconnected) and it looks like the one pictured.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	821254A8-8C50-431E-8A62-55BA0FE66B37.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	174818  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 18th Dec 2018, 1:00 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: ‘Temco’ synchronous electric clock runs backwards

I took some photos of an AC clock motor out of a scrap microwave back in September.
It was bright plastic and easy to do photos.
You posted that it looked like a later version of a Smiths one.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=150138
Old 18th Dec 2018, 1:05 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks for the reminder! However this Temco clock looks much older and is probably pre-war. I’ll just have to take it apart in the New Year and play it by ear.

Old 18th Dec 2018, 1:11 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

I had not opened one up for many years and did so with that old microwave time in order to remind myself how they work in detail.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:10 am   #5
Brigham
Octode

Is it worth taking it apart again? There are only two possible directions it can go, 50% of which are the right one!
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:34 am   #6
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I didn’t take it apart, just fitted a new flex and electrically tested it!

Old 18th Dec 2018, 11:34 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Are you sure that's a Temco? Looks more like a Smiths model to me, with a MkII movement with the running indicator above the centre. Same moulding as the Autocal, anyway: https://lespook.files.wordpress.com/...6-may-11-b.jpg

Anyway, it's no doubt because the rotation direction control bits are gummed up. No big deal though, it only needs unplugging and plugging in again and it will start again, 50:50 chance of the direction being right.

Nick.

EDIT: changed my mind, lots of Temcos look very similar to Smiths, both in terms of the case and dials. Sorry!

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 18th Dec 2018 at 11:42 am.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 12:03 pm   #8
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hi Nick! The clock itself says “Temco” on the dial, but I found the photo on the ‘net claiming to be of a Temco. Anyway, you’re right, there is great similarity both outside and in.

I will be seeing the clock again in January so I’ll have a closer look at it then. I know how the Smiths movement auto-reverses so this may be similar.

Old 18th Dec 2018, 12:28 pm   #9
Leon Crampin
Octode

The genuine Temco movement has a knurled shaft extension projecting from the rear for starting. It's simply "rolled" by one finger in the correct direction to start the clock. The motor will however run in either direction.

Because of this "feature", Temco clocks have arrows on the running indicator in the dial to indicate that you've started it in the correct direction.

Your clock has a Smiths bijou movement. The "kick start" mechanism should ensure that it starts in the right direction.

Leon.
Old 18th Dec 2018, 2:12 pm   #10
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks Leon

Old 18th Dec 2018, 2:41 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, Leon's right!

The tell-tale is the sort that was fitted to early (pre-war?) Bijous.

Nick.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bijou.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	174841  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 8:04 pm   #12
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’ve just opened up the smiths version of this clock, the motor in it doesn’t have any sort of self correcting kick back thing on it, unlike the alarm clock version I’ve been playing with that does, all I can see on it is a lever that flicks the motor the right way when the hand set knob is pushed and released.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 18th Dec 2018, 8:35 pm   #13
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks to everyone for the info. As I said, I'll be seeing this clock again in January so I'll look at it more carefully then. From the brief time I spent re-flexing it last Saturday, the motor looked rather different from a Smiths Bijou, so I think it's a genuine Temco but then again it has no hand-start knob. In fairness, the hand adjuster knob appears to have been home-made, so it's clearly seen previous repair attempts. I agree it will probably need cleaning internally before I can draw any definitive conclusions.

Old 20th Jan 2019, 10:35 pm   #14
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Update - I saw this clock again yesterday and managed to fix the problem.

The motor stator looks quite similar to a Smiths "Callboy" motor and has a rear bearing. The movement contains three worm-and-wheel reduction gear stages, and this and its anti-reverse rotation mechanism is identical to the Smiths "Callboy". Sadly no model number was visible, and I again forgot to take any photographs!

The anti-reverse mechanism consists of a toothed disc or ratchet wheel on the motor shaft, the teeth around the periphery of which are shallow and sawtooth in form. Running on the surface of disc is a cylindrical catgut peg about 1mm in diameter and 3mm long, which passes through a swaged hole in a thin, flat brass lever or detent, lightly sprung on a swivelling pivot. The brass detent has a small tab bent backwards at 90 degrees, which are able to engage with the teeth on the ratchet wheel.

If the rotor starts in the correct direction - anti-clockwise as viewed from the front of the clock - the brass detent is swivelled up and away from the periphery of the toothed disc by the catgut peg. However, if the rotor starts in reverse (clockwise), the brass detent is swivelled downwards by the catgut peg, and the small tab comes into contact with the vertical edges of the teeth round the perimeter of the disc. This stops the rotor and bounces it back into anticlockwise rotation.

The fault with this particular clock was caused by the catgut peg having come loose and slid forwards through the hole in the brass lever, thus making no contact with the ratchet wheel and rendering the anti-reverse mechanism inoperative. I was able to press the catgut peg back into the correct position, and lightly crimp the edges of the swaged hole in the brass lever to hold the peg in place. A tiny amount of clock oil was applied to the catgut peg, and the anti-reverse mechanism then worked perfectly.

I subsequently noted from "Modern Clocks" by T.R. Robinson, 3rd Edition (1955) from which the attached thumbnail was reproduced, that the swaged hole through the brass detent is actually threaded to hold the catgut in place.

The owner has since reported that the clock now always starts in the correct direction.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E7CE788-248A-4AFC-BC2C-155EB412C325.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	176801  

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 20th Jan 2019 at 10:40 pm. Reason: Image added/typo corrected
Closed Thread