UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2009, 10:17 am   #1
sg4instruments
Retired Dormant Member

Default re Britamer

Hi there,

I have in my possession a Britamer radio. What is quite interesting is that I have not been able to find out any details about this company except that it was based in London. Perhapps Britamer is a compound of BRITishAMERican

The model I have is not the A51 but (I think) a later model, as there does not appear to be any significant markings on it other than its make; I am not aware of any other models this company produced.

If any one has any snippets of information I would be most interested it hear it

Many thanks

Carl
Old 21st May 2009, 1:07 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: re Britamer

Paul Stenning has a service sheet, which gives their address as 234 Wandsworth Road.

Googling this leads to an Australian site: http://www.fuggle.com.au/node/132

This says "My mother and father ran a number of businesses in and around London. The main one was called Britamer Limited located at 234 Wandsworth Road, London which manufactured radios and radiograms. They were sold primarily in Barkers, Derry & Toms and Pontings, three large departments stores in High Street, Kensington. I remember the radiograms which were substantial items of furniture with a lid that hinged upwards and revealed a radio and turntable for playing 78 rpm records. We had one at home and my mother always stood a vase of flowers on the lid so that they had to be removed everytime we wanted to play a record or listen to the radio. I also recall a radio called the Britamer A51 which is now recorded on a number of vintage radio sites."

Also this: http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...ompany_id=9173

Nick.
Old 21st May 2009, 4:55 pm   #3
sg4instruments
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: re Britamer

Thanks, that's quite amazing! I'll drop this guy a few lines and see if I can find out more. Sounds like a small shop, which is probably why I cannot find any details on the particular model I have
Closed Thread