UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2006, 11:41 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Post-war UK TV standards.

Hi everyone,
Some time ago I read somewhere that at the end of WW2 a committee was set up to discuss the future of television in the UK. Obviously, the question of transmission standards was in the discussion.
Cossor came up with a proposal of a 50Hz 525 line system, this would operate in the existing 3.5Mhz sound vision spacing. Max video was to be 3.1Mhz. The line frequency would be 13125Hz so most of the existing sets could just about manage to work OK
Has anyone read or heard about this?

DFWB.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 11:47 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Post-war UK TV standards.

New one to me. I thought the choice was between staying with 405 and moving to 625. In retrospect, we probably made the wrong choice though it certainly looked right at the time. If we'd moved to 625, it would have seriously delayed the restart of the service. Compensating no more than 20,000 pre-war set owners would have been a lesser problem.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 12:03 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Didn't EMI propose a 605 line system? 11 X 11 X 5

Guess it seemed a good idea to stay with the pre-war standard for the post-war TV service. It would get us back into TV as cheaply as possible and It must be remembered the country was broke.

DFWB
Old 12th Jan 2006, 12:21 pm   #4
Duke_Nukem
Octode

I've not seen anything on this but would be very interested if you do turn up anything.

If cossor made such compatability claims then I can't help feeling they were wrong - I think asking an existing set to make a 25% faster line scan without reducing the width could only be achieved with a 25% boost in HT.

Quote:
In retrospect, we probably made the wrong choice though it certainly looked right at the time.
Choosing 625 lines at that time would have increased the cost of new sets doing nothing to help promote television. Also many sets struggled to even use the full 405 quality, so that combined with the small screens meant there'd have been little point in moving to 625.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 13th Jan 2006, 1:31 am   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

If the committee had chosen 625 with it's wider bandwidth it would have meant that the BBC would have needed both vhf tv bands (Bands 1 & 3) for it's national network as you can only squeeze in 3 625 line channels on band 1.
Sticking with 405 lines made it possible for a second national tv network (ITV) to start up in the 1950's using the band 3 channels.
I read somewhere that at one time they were considering using band 2 for television broadcasting before they decided to use this band for radio broadcasts.
Closed Thread