UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2007, 9:15 pm   #1
SteveMorton
Diode

Default Garex Twomobile

I've had a Garex Twomobile for about 20+ years. It's got a bit dusty inside, but otherwise it looks as if it still might work with a bit of TLC.

For those of you who might not know about the Garex, it's an Amateur 144-146 MHz transceiver, that I think was made in the early 70's possibly the late 60's. I'm trying to discover more about the history.

It's built using the chassis of a Pye Cambridge, but with some modifications and improvements. Instead of 6 channels it only has 3, but it has a very stable VFO that is used on receive. So back in those days you would have your own transmit channel and you would tune your receiver looking for others to have a QSO with.... The transceiver is also switchable between AM and FM.

I have a manual for the rig and I'm in the process of seeking permission to reproduce the manual along with photos on a website.

If you have historical information that you would be willing to share with me then it will be gratefully received.

I've not found any other references to the Garex transceivers on any internet sites. I think it's time to change that fact...

Thanks
Regards
Steve G8SFR
Old 24th Oct 2007, 9:34 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Garex Twomobile

Perhaps a word with Pete, G3ZVI might get all the info you need - He owns Garex Electonics.....
Old 24th Oct 2007, 9:40 pm   #3
SteveMorton
Diode

Thanks Sean, I've emailed Peter.

I've firstly asked him for permission to publish the manual, which I suppose he might still hold copyright to, although it is over 30 years old... and I've also asked him for as much info as he can recall..

I have been told that the company was previously owned by Rex G3MMJ, who might have originally created these rigs, but that isn't certain yet.

I love radio mysteries!!

Thanks
Regards
Steve G8SFR
Old 24th Oct 2007, 11:53 pm   #4
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

I have one of these purchased new in about 1972 or so. Mine has been modified for six TX channels though. I also fitted a 1750Hz toneburst. I improved the first mixer a bit some years ago. It still works but I have not used it for a long long time. I also changed the green and red Power/TX indicators to LEDs. They were LES bulbs before the mod. I guess that the YL1080 quick heat version of the QQV03-10 might be a tad rare nowadays though. I got mine when Garex were up on, is it, Bledlow Ridge? I know that they were high up anyway.
Old 25th Oct 2007, 1:01 pm   #5
SteveMorton
Diode

Hi
So do you still have yours?

I got a very lengthy email reply back from Peter G3ZVI late last night, lots of info still to take on board. But plenty of info for me to make a start on a mini website dedicated to the Garex TwoMobile!!

Regards
Steve
Old 25th Oct 2007, 1:54 pm   #6
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Steve,

Yes I do. It's a bit battered after years in my car in the 70s, but it still works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-020F.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	13021  
Old 26th Oct 2007, 5:06 am   #7
SteveMorton
Diode

Here's a photo of mine. It's chassis number is 041, which Peter seems to think is a pre 1972 one.

I hope to start creating the web pages in the next few days with some more pictures of mine and also the info I have received from Peter G3ZVI. Got a busy weekend so I'm not sure when I will get time. But I will post a link on here once it's on-line

Steve G8SFR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garex2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	13033  
Old 26th Oct 2007, 11:15 am   #8
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMorton View Post
Here's a photo of mine. It's chassis number is 041, which Peter seems to think is a pre 1972 one.

Steve G8SFR
That does appear to be an early one Steve. Mine has selector switches on the front panel for selecting either AM or FM on both the receiver and transmitter so you can work cross mode if you wanted to. I believe that the later ones were equipped with LED indicators as well. The tone burst kit was certainly supplied by Garex and I think that originally it was on all the time and the switch was used to select one of two tone burst frequencies. I guess this was in the days before the 1275 Hz access tone had been universally employed by repeaters. I subsequently modified it so that the switch turned a single tone on and off. Mine was supplied with lamp indicators similar to yours. I have a feeling that it might have been Garex that did the mod to increase the channels from three to six but it was a long time ago and I can't remember. When I get a minute I will take the case off and see if I can find a serial number. I did find that the VFO drifted a bit when I put the heater on in my car as the hot air blew onto the rig!

I wonder how many more survive out there!
Old 26th Oct 2007, 5:02 pm   #9
SteveMorton
Diode

Hi
Well this is extracted from the message I got back from Peter G3ZVI...
----
Just recently, there have been some developments re:
the Garex Twomobile (and Fourmobile). For many years I
stubbornly hung on to some part built sets, and
somehow they survived several factory moves and
closures. A few months ago I finally decided that I
would never complete them and advertised them on
various Yahoo groups and actually found someone who
was willing to undertake the project: Anthony M1FDE.

He has concentrated on getting the Fourmobiles built
(a very rare beast), not heard from him lately as to
whether he has tackled the Twomobiles. He was living
in Christchurch at that time, but has now moved back
to Essex, so perhaps a bit nearer to you.
----

So their might even be some 'new' ones out there!!!

Yes I remember seeing ones with two mode switches... the first time I came across the rig was with G8LKC and his had the two switches. I could of course easily modify mine to have the two switches.

Not sure if there is a tone burst fitted to mine... although I have a tuning fork tone burst in an old Cambridge that I could fit... can't have anything too modern in there can we!!!

On mine the chassis number was stamped on the rear panel on the inside... and also written on the chassis in a few places.

Cheers
Steve G8SFR
Old 11th Dec 2008, 1:14 am   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Quote:
A few months ago I finally decided that I
would never complete them and advertised them on
various Yahoo groups and actually found someone who
was willing to undertake the project: Anthony M1FDE.
Just to bring you all up to date on this....

Anthony M1FDE is no longer with us sadly.

However I am going to collect all the remaining stuff for the project, and will endeavour to complete the project.

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th Apr 2009, 12:01 pm   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Thought it might make sense to reopen this thread.

I have now got a stack of four and twomobiles, in various states of completeness, along with a lot of documentation, and spares.

Might well get one of each out over Easter and see what can be done with them. Forum member Onewatt also has one of each - the 2m one is working, the 4m needs attention.

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th Apr 2009, 11:13 pm   #12
SteveMorton
Diode

Good luck with taking them on Sean. If you have played with these before, remember to be careful when tuning the PA, they have a habit of taking off if the drive levels aren't high enough a design fault inherited from Pye stuff.

I've recently rescued mine from the storage unit we had rented so I might get a chance to fire mine up to check it out on the bench. Most of my test kit though is now at our place in France. So I will most probably be trying it out over there.

Steve G8SFR
Old 9th Apr 2009, 10:11 pm   #13
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I have made a start on the 4mobiles - These were the most complete, and look easiest to start with.

All were missing their tx oscillator boards - I have found and fitted these, and have powered the first one up.

No Audio on rx, so a fault somewhere - eventually traced to the NKT 404 audio driver transistor.

I have not got any of these, so subbed a 2N5883 (I have loads of these!) despite being a silicon transistor with a mighty 200W dissipation, it works well in this application, with no alteration in biasing.

Still got loads to do, but the RX is quite impressive - MDS of around -125dbm - amazing for a 50year old design!
Old 10th Apr 2009, 5:20 pm   #14
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..
Smile Re: Garex Twomobile

I have just caught up with this thread.

I have been using a "Twomobile" since 1976 - I want to get my monies worth out of it..... Its a 6 channel with separate tx and rx mode switching and a 1700-off-1750 toneburst and the original Cambridge style indicator lenses. I have never found the serial number on it though.

Over the years it been very reliable given the amount of use (and occasional mis-use) its received and when I have needed parts Pete has been his usual helpful self. Whilst at uni I bought an "EMU" VFO for the transmitter and changed the channel switch to one I could set up to give a 7th position for the external tx vfo input.

The YL1080's have never given any trouble, probably because I bought some as spares! I have also tried QQV03-10's, (a long time ago) with a suitable heater re-wire,as an experiment with only a slightly decrease in rf output.

The one problem I did have some time ago centred around the toneburst timing, quickheat valves and the tone window on some repeaters; whereby to get a toneburst long enough for weak repeaters it was too long for close ones with a "tight" timing window". Mind you for AM thats not going to be a problem!

When you get into it they are an interesting mix of Cambridges....

All in all a good radio - which is why I still use it!

Ian G8KSZ
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 8:56 pm   #15
SteveMorton
Diode

Just a quick up date (Thanks Sean for reopening this thread)

It's been a while I know, but I've been moving house and countries!

I've now put together the starters of a Garex Two Mobile webpage which you will find here: http://steve-morton.com/blog/garex-two-mobile/

I'm getting some recollections and snippets from Peter Longhurst G3XVI which will be added to the page in the next few days.

Hope you find it of interest.

Regards
Steve F/G8SFR
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 12:26 pm   #16
SteveMorton
Diode

Turns out mine is in fact chassis number 14 built by Rex G3MMJ

I've just added some more details and some notes added to the pictures too.

Regards
Steve F/G8SFR
Closed Thread