UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2023, 11:23 pm   #1
gw0udmgw
Triode

Default Sony FX-414BE - tape audio problem

Hi all

Bit of a long shot this but would be grateful for any thoughts.

I have recently acquired this Sony FX-414BE from a fellow forum member. It's seen better days but I love the look of it and the fact it's stereo:

https://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-ind...ge=Sony+FX-414

When I got it one of the stereo channels was dead but I was able to solve this easily with some switch cleaner. The problem I now have it that there is no audio from the cassette. The mechanism works fine, and both the TV and the radio output audio with no issues.

I think the problem is related to the mode selector switch - as you twist from TV or radio to tape you can hear the sound of the tape faintly for an instant before it goes quiet. I did manage a few times to get audio out of the tape by wiggling the selector knob, but then if you so much as touched it again it would stop.

I've managed to get to the switch - which is a huge mechanical thing with loads contact, and sprayed contact cleaner everywhere without any success. I've also tried wiggling the board around, and even reflowed the solder on every connector on the switch all to no avail. The only difference now is that I can't get anything even with a good wiggle.

There is a service manual on archive.org which is helpful up to a point. The schematic does show the switch and the various things coming in and out, although i'm now wondering if the wiggling was actually having an effect somwhere else.

There is some evidence that someone has been in there before (few bits of broken plastic) so I wonder if it's a recurrent issue or if the switch has simply failed.

So a bit of a long shot, but wondered if anyone had come across something like this before? I've posted a picture of the selector switch and the huge mass of wiring which surrounds it. Any thoughts most welcome!

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230511_230853.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	278613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230522_201951.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	278614  
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:25 am   #2
Boulevardier
Octode

Default Re: Sony FX-414BE - tape audio problem

If you've just recently swamped it with contact cleaner, that may be causing some tracking (short circuits) between the switch contacts. If this has happened, then with any luck the liquid will evaporate peacefully given time without lasting harm. No guarantees, but worth keeping it gently warm and trying it again later.

Mike
Old 23rd May 2023, 12:33 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony FX-414BE - tape audio problem

Move the rec-pb slider switch about 20 times while dosing with cleaner.
Closed Thread