UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2023, 9:07 pm   #21
johndoe
Triode

Default Re: Quad 405-2 - Hot resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutteronthebus View Post
I use these pliers to get an off set from the PCB https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322821956...pid=6007019881

That's a nice tool for the price, I'll have to get one for my random tool pot

Having tested the new resistor on and off all day, it might be a little cooler, but still at times about 10+ degrees more than the original resistor on the other board.

I left it playing music for some hours today with the lid off, then the rest of the day with the lid on, boy it sure does run toasty in there, a few vents wouldn't have gone a miss!

I'm not sure whats best to do now, leave it as is or start shot guning parts
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:11 am   #22
fetteler
Octode

I would leave it as it is as I suspect there is really nothing wrong. I would also be tempted to replace the components in the other channel with the same modern uprated versions you have in the 'hot channel' so they are both the same spec and living in the 21st century. Stand both channel's components off the board with a brand new pair of those neat lead crimpers of course

Steve.
Old 6th Jun 2023, 7:40 pm   #23
johndoe
Triode

I an confirm the pliers are very nicely made for the money and do a great job of bending leads

I will be replacing all the parts with new ones this week as I should have the last of the bipolar caps I needed, I also need to find some 405 feet as I noticed one of them is non standard and has a cross threaded bolt
Old 11th Jun 2023, 2:27 pm   #24
VintageAudio
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutteronthebus View Post
I use these pliers to get an off set from the PCB https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322821956...pid=6007019881
snap
Closed Thread