UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Old 21st Mar 2024, 10:17 am   #1
ScottBouch
Octode

Default Two letter short form of colours used in wiring and electroincs

Hi all,

Regarding two-letter short-form codes for colours; where I served my apprenticeship at Spectron Lasers, they used the method of taking the first and last letters of each colour. This system was used for wire core colours and resistor bands, etc... The "first and last" abbreviation system is infallible as no two colours begin and end with the same letters.

I want to know if there is a BS, ISO, IEC, IEEE (etc..) standard where this "first and last" system appears that I can reference?

You sometimes see the first two letters used, but this falls over with black and blue.

The system used by the two standards highlighted below mainly use first and last letters, but also throw in some sporadic combinations of letters for confusion:

IEC 60757 electronic colour code https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...code#IEC_60757

DIN 47100 telecommunication cables https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_47100

BK (first and last letters)
BN (first and last letters)
RD (first and last letters)
OG
YE
GN (first and last letters)
BU
VT (first and last letters)
GY (first and last letters)
WH
PK (first and last letters)
SR (first and last letters)
GD (first and last letters)

I can see these letters have been selected for the phonic sound of them to represent the colour words, but it's a system that takes learning, and can't be picked up instantly like the "first and last" letter abbreviation system below:

BN
RD
OE
YW
GN
BE
VT
GY
WE
PK
SR
GD

So, my question is, is the "first and last" abbreviation system used or documented by any standards or specifications?

Cheers, Scott.
Old 21st Mar 2024, 10:49 am   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Two letter short form of colours used in wiring and electroincs

Much like the phonetic alphabet has 'official' and unofficial versions (Bravo, Baker etc), provided the information is parsed correctly I don't think it really makes much difference.
kellys_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2024, 10:51 am   #3
ScottBouch
Octode

Default Re: Two letter short form of colours used in wiring and electroincs

Indeed, but for a project I'm working on, I'd ideally need to specify a standard or specification if possible.