UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2004, 7:00 pm   #21
fableglade

Default Re: Specs and Feedback needed for converter

I've looked to update my very old standards converter for some time. Mine does a very good job, but it dates back a few years and is very bulky with a separate modulator on Channel 1 only. What I would ideally like to replace it with is a smaller standards converter with a modulator which could be switched between Channels 1&4 and even perhaps any of the channels 1-5. I have considered ordering a Domino standards converter for a long time but I have waited until either a Channel 4 modulator was offered individually or else a model was launched that could switch between channels 1 and 4 or any channel from 1-5. Having a modulator which would cover a number of channels would, for me, be something which would make me seriously consider updating my current standards converter and modulator.

Old 3rd Aug 2004, 8:05 pm   #22
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Hi all, a switchable modulator would indeed be useful because as the collection inevitably grows the early sets are not tuneable which means either another modulator or re-tuning the existing one In my case i have a Pineapple 2 fed from a Thompson digi-box with internal home brew modulator which works well and integrates into the domestic scene fairly well being all contained in a slim vcr sized case The digi-box is used normally and the Pineapple switched in when a nostalgia trip is required . A switchable modulator would add much more versatility to any system, i look forward with anticipation . Another thought ! as we are all going digital shortly we are receiving,tuning and processing these signals digitally is it not possible to use these signals to directly drive a standards converter? i must point out at this point that i know very little about digital electronics . My own set-up is Digital-Analogue-Digital-Analogue : in fact i have christened it DADA.....seems a shame to convert and re-convert any ideas? Mikeymushradio
Old 3rd Aug 2004, 9:23 pm   #23
tubesrule
Hexode

Hi Mikey,
It is inevitable that we will need to make an HD digital standards converter in the not to distant future. Once NTSC and PAL end for good, we'll have to down convert HD signals to our old sets. DVI and 1394 seem to be the digital interfaces of choice right now for HD TV. Although these interfaces can be more expensive than an A/D interface currently is, it would eliminate the digital to analog to digital to analog conversion. Although this seems to be a cumbersome chain, we're really not losing that much since we start with a higher resolution standard and then down convert, usually go through a modulator anyway.

Darryl
Old 3rd Aug 2004, 10:39 pm   #24
Steve
Tetrode

Quote:
What I would ideally like to replace it with is a smaller standards converter with a modulator which could be switched between Channels 1&4 and even perhaps any of the channels 1-5.
Another option for this is maybe to use a sig genny. I'm not sure how common this is, but my Phillips has a video and audio input with the ability to program the audio offset, am/fm audio and video polarity. I've used it on Band I channel 1 with 405 line source and Band IV PAL 625.

I have the opposite problem to you, in that I don't have a standards converter - YET!

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 29th Dec 2004 at 1:48 pm.
Old 4th Aug 2004, 7:31 am   #25
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Default Modulators *[was Specs/Feedback for converter]

Hi all

I want to run a few TV's at the same time .
If you have
a Birmingham set and a London set you can not do
this with a switchable thing .
At 625 I have a switchable
modulator (with dip switches for every standard and
frequency).
But I added some fixt to run different TV's
without switching .

I think with one modulator which makes Birningham
and London you can run all 405 equipment at the
same time without switching .
A lot of stages in a modulator can be used for both
modulators so it is not as much comlicated as building
two modulators .

Question to the people who want to build a finished
thing:
How much would you spend for such a modulator?
Kind regards

Darius

(I think we should move this discussion to the
modulator thread... )

Best I can do is modify the title
TTFN,
Jon, your friendly neighbourhood moderator

Last edited by Station X; 30th Dec 2004 at 5:10 pm. Reason: Import
Old 4th Aug 2004, 2:46 pm   #26
tubesrule
Hexode

Interesting point Darius. I also like to run a few sets at a time once in a while, so having multiple outputs would be nice, although it does raise the complexity. Would there be any issues with cross talk between the two circuits?

Darryl
Old 4th Aug 2004, 3:51 pm   #27
fableglade

Being able to have Channels 1 & 4 on individually or together would certainly be VERY useful, that way you could have as many sets on at once as you wanted.

Currently I feed VHF and UHF signals all around the house along the same co-axial system, this includes Channel 1, standard over-the-air BBC & ITV, Sky, Freeview and 2 VCR's using standard aerial distribution amplifiers. The signal at each set is very good on VHF and all UHF channels, so I don't see any problem with sending a Channel 4 signal aongside a Channel 1 signal.

Ideally it would be best if a modulator were available where you could switch on Channel 1, Channel 4 or both together.

Over to the technical guys.........

Old 4th Aug 2004, 4:09 pm   #28
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Gidday all,
Yes, you are right Darryl you have to use a filter at
each modulator output like I did.
I am able to build and agly the filters.

Cheers,
Darius

Old 4th Aug 2004, 7:57 pm   #29
Mikeymushradio
Rest in Peace

Hi Darius
i]How much would you spend for such a modulator?i]
Any idea how much such a modulator would cost to design and build? i am sure several people would buy a good quality 2 channel unit . I know i would be interested.
Mikeymushradio
Old 5th Aug 2004, 7:32 am   #30
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Good morning,
design costs nothing. Material ca. 50 Euro if you don't
use XTAL's. It is the work cutting the metal soildering
the components make and agly the coils with the
analyzer etc. I am sure it will take two days or so to
build one.
I'll start building a London/Birmingham modulator
next time and pose the development here...

Kind regards

Darius

I started a new thrad for the London/Birmingham
modulator...
Old 6th Aug 2004, 8:43 pm   #31
fableglade

You can count me in for ordering if one becomes available.

Closed Thread