UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2008, 11:48 am   #1
System A
Pentode

Default My Converter

Hi everone the standards converter i use everday is my good friend David Boyne"s first attempt back in 1984 . It has no interpolation so sometimes had trouble with horizontal lines making them look stepped .
Regards . gary .

Last edited by System A; 11th May 2008 at 12:10 pm. Reason: other thread was in the wrong place
Old 13th May 2008, 3:51 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: My Converter

Gary has used this converter since 1990 and indeed it was my first attempt at the consruction of such a piece of equipment. If it had not been for Gary the poor thing would have been scrapped and used for spares for other projects. Gary paid me a visit sometime in 1990 and noticed on the workbench a pile of PCBs and and components assembled on Veroboard. He enquired what the parts were used for and I told him that it was my first standards converter.
Anyway, to keep the story short I reassembled the converter and gave it to Gary.
This simple converter did have a simple system of line interpolation, but we couldn't get it to work properly after reassembly with the interpolator so now it exists to this day as a simple line dropping converter. Even though 220 lines of the input standard are dropped the converted 405 picture does not look all that bad.

A modulator for the converter was constructed on a 100 X 120mm PCB. The circuit is the channel 1 modulator designed by David Looser in 1984.
The article for the construction of this modulator appeared in the August 1984Television magazine.

DFWB.
Old 13th May 2008, 4:22 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: My Converter

David Boynes is to be congratulated as the first person outside the BBC/ITV/Pye who successfully designed and/or built a 625 to 405 converter. Was it really as far back as 1984? I thought it was around 1988/89. I didn't meet David until 1986/87 and ISTR he was still struggling to get results at the time.

David Looser's excellent modulator was widely used by enthusiasts and predates my own design which used Rediffusion modules.
Closed Thread