UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2023, 7:04 pm   #1
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Wrong Television

I've just been watching "Hidden Treasures of the National Trust" at Paul Mc Cartney's house at 20 Forthlin Road where they are keen to reproduce the correct Sandersons "stone effect" wallpaper that appears to be unobtainable. It seems to me that with the trouble they are taking over the wallpaper they would find getting the correct television set a lot easier.

Am I right in thinking it should be a Ferguson 992T instead of the Bush TV24 that the Trust are displaying?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FQsEuuVXwAEw0uQ.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	278820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	278821  

Last edited by peter_scott; 27th May 2023 at 7:32 pm.
Old 27th May 2023, 7:34 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Wrong Television

Sadly, that's typical of the attitude of the heritage industry to period electronics. They'll spend a fortune on period carpets, decoration and furnishings, but have a 'that'll do' attitude to radio and TV, despite the correct models being relatively easy to source. At least the TV is period correct - some reconstructions have an 'olden days' approach whereby anything with valves in it can be substituted for models from the 20s to the 60s.
Old 27th May 2023, 7:35 pm   #3
beltinge bore
Pentode

991T or 992T Ferguson 14"(998T was 12")I have a998T on my little bench at the moment.
Regards Steve.
Old 27th May 2023, 7:36 pm   #4
beltinge bore
Pentode

Sorry my post croossed with your edit.
Old 27th May 2023, 7:54 pm   #5
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltinge bore View Post
991T or 992T Ferguson 14"(998T was 12")I have a998T on my little bench at the moment.
Regards Steve.
Thanks Steve. I think the 12" has a circular CRT so I think this one is the 14" The 998T was one of the sets I repaired as a teenager. My parents even used a similar wallpaper the McCartneys.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ferguson 998T.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	278822   Click image for larger version

Name:	PMStvrepair.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	278827  

Last edited by peter_scott; 27th May 2023 at 8:13 pm.
Old 27th May 2023, 8:07 pm   #6
peter_scott
Dekatron

I emailed the National Trust:

"I've just been watching this television programme about 20 Forthlin Road, Liverpool and noticed the care you have taken to get the Sanderson wallpaper close to original. The television set displayed in the living room is of a similar era but I think you could find the correct set easier than you could with the correct wallpaper.

See: Wrong Television - UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum (vintage-radio.net)

You might even be able to source one by placing an advert in the wanted section of the above forum.

Kind regards,

Peter Scott"

"Dear Supporter,

Thank you for your email which has been logged under CASE-00226883, we've received it and will get back to you as soon as we can.

Thank you for your patience and support of the National Trust. "

Last edited by peter_scott; 27th May 2023 at 8:33 pm.
Old 28th May 2023, 8:04 am   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Well, let's see what happens. You could become a major contributor to the live and times of Sir Paul. Fame at last! Will you still sign autographs?
Old 28th May 2023, 11:17 am   #8
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

I think it's much to do with modern attitudes towards any sort of accuracy in such circumstances. "This'll do, no one will notice."

It happens a lot in TV. Going back a decade there was a "retro" TV series called PC 56.
In one episode there was a scene in a café where there was a Ditchburn Music Maker jukebox. The one they used wasn't made until ten years later than when the series was set.

"No one will notice." Which was probably mostly true.
Old 28th May 2023, 1:22 pm   #9
slidertogrid
Octode

To be fair you would need to have knowledge of vintage TV sets to identify the set as a Ferguson. They probably just saw it as a 1950's "box" TV and chose a popular model. Most people would not notice as there isn't much of the set visible in the picture. Now they know though... So it depends on if they want accuracy or not. I just hope they don't just skip the Bush if they do replace it!

It happens all the time "The Crown" for instance was very well done but they still put colour pictures on monochrome TVs.
Old 28th May 2023, 1:49 pm   #10
paulsherwin

I think the point is that the NT have put a huge amount of time, money and effort into creating a historically accurate reconstruction of the house, but couldn't be bothered to track down the correct TV model. Of course, most people won't be able to tell the difference, but that's hardly the issue - most people wouldn't spot the specially sourced wallpaper either.
Old 28th May 2023, 2:16 pm   #11
Colourstar
Octode

As Rich says, to be fair to the National Trust, unless there's someone involved in the project with an intimate knowledge of vintage television sets, how would they begin to try and identify the make and model? Maybe it's not considered particularly important and it must be said a lot of sets of that era look broadly similar to the average person.

Even though with our collective knowledge on here we can spot the make and model, I think tracking down a 991T or 992T would be no mean feat. I can't remember the last one I saw come up for sale.

Steve
Old 28th May 2023, 6:36 pm   #12
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Well, let's see what happens. You could become a major contributor to the live and times of Sir Paul. Fame at last! Will you still sign autographs?
Well our parents' had the same taste in wallpaper. Whilst Paul was plucking wires I was snipping them. Clearly we have a lot in common!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FQsEuuVXwAEw0uQ.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	278846  
Old 28th May 2023, 7:55 pm   #13
Rich Woods
Pentode

Well I hope you find someone at the NT with a more helpful attitude than I did when I pointed out that the wireless on display in the (from memory) 1930’s room in the Birmingham back to backs was too modern and offered to replace it for them. The person said “oh, you’ve spotted our deliberate mistake then” and dismissed my offer of a period set.
Lesson learnt.
Old 28th May 2023, 8:46 pm   #14
peter_scott
Dekatron

Thanks Rich, I won't hold my breath.

Peter
Old 29th May 2023, 10:30 am   #15
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

To be fair, to the untrained eye those two TVs look pretty similar and the period is right.

And tracking down wallpaper is more interesting to most people than tracking down a TV which is just an unremarkable box in the corner.
Old 29th May 2023, 11:43 am   #16
ms660
Dekatron

Regarding the two photo's in Post#1

Is it known for sure that the decor etc in the NT photo is supposed to represent the same point in time as the one in the 1st photo?...The wallpaper pattern looks totally different to me.

Lawrence.
Old 29th May 2023, 11:51 am   #17
paulsherwin

Apparently they haven't actually sourced the correct wallpaper yet.
Old 29th May 2023, 12:19 pm   #18
peter_scott
Dekatron

I thought they had got it printed out on a giant printer and invited Mike to visit to see it at Forthlin Road.

Peter
Old 29th May 2023, 12:21 pm   #19
ms660
Dekatron

https://theguideliverpool.com/new-bb...aul-mccartney/

Lawrence.
Old 29th May 2023, 12:38 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
As Rich says, to be fair to the National Trust, unless there's someone involved in the project with an intimate knowledge of vintage television sets, how would they begin to try and identify the make and model?

Steve
Easy really, as any researcher worth their salt should know. Just Google 'vintage televisions' or words to that effect and go from there. It should throw up a number of sites where the question could be asked. There's even a Facebook vintage TVs page. There isn't much you can't find out using the internet.