UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2023, 11:02 am   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Leak Stereo 30 Plus Amplifier

A simple question - Does the availability of Ceramic cartridges (made in China) now mean that amps such as this one from the 'change-over' era (late 60s - early 70s) of ceramic to moving-magnet cartridges are now more relevant than they were a few years ago? This being because they have inputs that could deal with both types.

Last edited by SteveCG; 22nd May 2023 at 11:03 am. Reason: typo
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:16 am   #2
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Default Re: Leak Stereo 30 Plus Amplifier

Unless you want to preserve vintage originality for a modest system, there's no benefit to ceramic cartridges over magnetic. This was known and recognised at the time, and most enthusiasts would upgrade to a magnetic cartridge if they started with a ceramic. Magnetic cartridges tracked better and had a flatter frequency response once RIAA equalised than ceramics, which were only popular due to low cost. The lower output of a magnetic cartridge did require a low noise phono input, but that had been adequately dealt with by the 1960s.

S.
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:45 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I suppose a ceramic cartridge - with proper tip (not necessarily as supplied by the Chinese folk) - is still the easiest way to (casually) play 78s for most of us.

These amps' tape outputs are affected by the treble and bass controls, which could also be considered a plus point when transferring 78s to digital or whatever.
Old 22nd May 2023, 12:17 pm   #4
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Indeed, if 78s are a feature, then yes, a ceramic turnover cartridge is convenient. I bought a 78 stylus for an old Ortofon OM series which I put on a separate headshell for 78s, using my GL75. I did have the fond idea of digitising my stack of 78s, but they're either too worn or the music is too bad (often both!) for it to be something I've done much of.

A 78 in good condition (rare I know) can actually sound quite good especially if the digital file is lightly treated with any of the noise reduction facilities in recording software. It'll benefit from applying some adjustments to the EQ as even if one knows what the EQ the record company used, it may not always be that accurate.

S.
Old 24th May 2023, 11:13 am   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

Points noted. If I can refine my question/debating point:

For the folk who nowadays want to play LPs they need a set-up to do this. In particular the availability of a working cartridge is a real pinch point. Since it seems that only the Chinese made 'red' cartridges are still made, and these cartridges are ceramic then it would seem to be desirable to have an amp that can handle the combination of input impedance and signal level appropriate for them - hence my original question.
Old 24th May 2023, 11:27 am   #6
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCG View Post
Points noted. If I can refine my question/debating point:

For the folk who nowadays want to play LPs they need a set-up to do this. In particular the availability of a working cartridge is a real pinch point. Since it seems that only the Chinese made 'red' cartridges are still made, and these cartridges are ceramic then it would seem to be desirable to have an amp that can handle the combination of input impedance and signal level appropriate for them - hence my original question.
I'm not sure I understand your point, as magnetic cartridges are now far more common than ceramics. Ortofon and Audio Technica are probably the main two, with several others available. As someone who plays records pretty regularly, I have no trouble getting cartridges, replacement stylii or for my Moving Coil cartridges, retipping.

As I said before, unless I wanted to preserve originality, which one won't do anyway by buying a new Chinese-made cartridge, I would buy a magnetic cartridge with a replaceable stylus for 78s. That way, I would get the best out of my LPs, and easily be able to play 78s.

Then, the question of an amplifier needing an input for a ceramic cartridge doesn't arise.

S.
Old 24th May 2023, 11:31 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I play mainly LPs, and not wanting to spend much, have usually gone for an Audio Technica AT-95E magnetic cartridge, or similar.

With these costing a mere £30 or so, I can't see what the perceived advantage of a ceramic cartridge would be for playing microgroove records - unless you're using a crude autochanger, maybe.
Old 24th May 2023, 3:17 pm   #8
SteveCG
Nonode

I agree that MM cartridges are better than Ceramic ones - I changed many. many years ago to MM. My understanding was that MM were no longer manufactured - evidently I am wrong on that. So if we had been in a situation where there were Ceramics cartridges still being made and no MM ones made then, for newcomers to LP playing, being able to use a Ceramic Cartridge was better than nothing, hence the desirability of an amp that had that Ceramic capability.
Old 26th May 2023, 11:50 am   #9
SteveCG
Nonode

A postscript thought:

The only snag with a Leak amp of this era is that they were designed with 'long tip' phono plugs in mind and these plugs had to have a small body width since the input sockets are close spaced. Since many 'modern' turntables have moulded-on phono plugs with short tips and fat bodies this could be an issue for those who are new to playing LPs and who have just bought new equipment.
Closed Thread