UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2022, 6:47 pm   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Open Circuit 'High Quality' PL259

Greenpar stuff is still available; they were bought by Tyco which subsequently renamed itself "TE Connectivity".

Tyco [now TE] also bought AMP in 1999, and they also seem to own Greenopar now as well.

Still worth paying for.
Old 8th Nov 2022, 6:53 pm   #22
Rileyman
Pentode

Thank you , Station X , for adding the link .
As an infrequent visitor to the Forum I'm still on the "bottom bend" of the familiarisation-curve !
Old 8th Nov 2022, 10:28 pm   #23
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Good to know Greenpar are still available.
Does anyone know if the quality has been maintained?

I refer back to silver plating that better belongs on a gravy boat and you can see your face in it!
Old 9th Nov 2022, 2:00 pm   #24
Rileyman
Pentode

Hi , Pete . I sent your package of U.H.F. bits etc. (by Royal Mail) at 12.20 pm. today . Let us know if, and when , you receive them please !

Laurie .
Old 11th Nov 2022, 11:32 pm   #25
Rileyman
Pentode

Hi , Folks .
In view of recent reports by Forum members about big problems with items sent by Royal Mail , I was relieved to get a P.M. from G4_Pete (at 4.20 p.m. today ) confirming receipt of the package I sent at 12.20 p.m. on Wed . 9th..

Lets hope it's not a "one-off" !
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 9:43 pm   #26
G4_Pete
Hexode

Just to close this out I had a go at modifying the PL259 internals, I put a shim washer to spread the load on the PTFE, a silver plated cut ring expanded as a sprung connection to the case and finally a 35 Deg chamfer on the ferrule to further expand the ring out on the case to make a good solid mechanical joint whilst also locking the PTFE and centre pin in place.

All good or so I thought .... I then find the centre gold plated pin is too long for some sockets at 13.5mm and bottoms out before the locking dogs engage. (Amphenol pins I measured are around 10mm)

I could chop the pin length but then I measure and find the threaded barrel is too long and hits the chassis part of the socket before pulling up. This was the case on some of my commercial gear.

Well that is the sad end of this journey - I have enough new old stock plugs to do what I need. But then again, I could just trim a bit off the barrel....

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New internals.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	268627   Click image for larger version

Name:	New assembed.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	268628  
Closed Thread