UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2022, 6:21 pm   #21
Buzby123
Heptode

Default Re: Lancaster Bomber Cockpit replica

Something funny going on.

The title and description is now 'No Lot', and the autioneer's valuation is £5 to £10.
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 7:00 pm   #22
GMB
Dekatron

The lot has been withdrawn from the auction.

I'm not surprised as it isn't the kind of thing that would sell well in an auction like that I would think.
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 7:03 pm   #23
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Wow! I can see a lot of work and close attention to detail has gone into the making of that, truly fantastic. I hope it goes to a good home!

Regards
Lloyd

Any of the RAF related museums ought to be queuing up for this exhibit. But I wonder if they even know its up for sale.

Unfortunately, its not a "museum friendly" exhibit. It would be very difficult to have museum visitors going into to it to sample its wonders - and it definitely can't be appreciated from the outside. Health and safety would be a severe challenge - as I recall the main beam (for the wings) is in the correct position, and is about as easy to climb over as the average farm stile. Definitely not a place for the elderly.

The other reasons that museums may well have declared "no interest" (I can't imagine Norman hasn't tried them first) is that few of them appreciate the value of "living history". And that's exactly what you get with this recreation - an opportunity to experience what it was like in a Lancaster bomber - with authentic sounds (loud) and light levels (low). Along with working simulations of much of the equipment the crew would interact with.

Richard

P.S. If you want first class examples of living history try Beamish in County Durham, or Blist Hill in the Midlands - and then some of the re-enactment events that take place throughout the year for many different periods in history.
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 7:04 pm   #24
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

For £5 I’d buy it and donate it to the BBMF!! I wonder if someone’s made a serious offer for it..

Regards
Lloyd
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 7:07 pm   #25
trh01uk
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
For £5 I’d buy it and donate it to the BBMF!! I wonder if someone’s made a serious offer for it..

Regards
Lloyd

A serious offer would be in the region of £20k I would think, just for the bits that are offered. Of course its value as an assembled system far outweighs the value of the bits.

Richard
Old 23rd Nov 2022, 7:17 pm   #26
trh01uk
Octode

Having just watched the film and reminded myself just how stupendous this recreation is, I was thinking about how it might be marketed by a museum with its commercial hat on.

I would offer "The Lancaster Experience", for maybe two adults at a time, or maybe one adult, one child over 10 max, at a rate of £50/each for an hours demo and lecture by knowledge staff (probably volunteers in practice).

That means you might get 5 one hour demos in per day, each day pulling in £100 per hour. So that's potentially £500 per day - maximum.

You can see that an outlay of say £50,000 could be recouped fairly quickly at that rate of income. However costs would potentially be high - mainly in salaries for the professional engineers needed to support it. And that is probably the sticking point - and why no museum would take it on - its too technologically complex a project for them to understand and support. It would need a team of 2 - 3 engineers to maintain the hardware and software that powers the simulations.....

Richard
Closed Thread