UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2019, 8:34 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Garrard RC209 slipping

Has anyone ever got one of these auto decks to work reliably? This one is slipping as soon as the lift mechanism engages and the return spring for this seems excessively strong. Apart from the spring tension it all seems to move freely.

This is from an EMI record player, a crossbreed between an EP10 and EP20, that uses a UF89 and UL84. It is not going to be wear as it is in exceptional condition other than the GC2 cartridge which has expired and is now replaced with a chinese red plastic thing.

I have 'turned' the idler down a bit (select 78 and use a sharp stanley knife side on) which has helped. The idler wheel is still flexible but maybe I need to do more as it still has a small flat?
Old 18th Sep 2019, 8:38 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard RC209 slipping

Hello,

So long as the mech is nice and clean and properly lubricated, my money's on the idler.

Nick.
Old 18th Sep 2019, 11:52 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard RC209 slipping

Agree with Nick. I only fit rebuilt ones from Terry's Rubber Rollers.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread