UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Sep 2014, 12:07 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Panasonic K Mech mechanical noise

These are good mechansims but I have one that is a bit 'thumpy' on rewind - almost on every tape spool (right hand) I can hear a knock. At fast speeds it becomes a vibration. I can't see anything amiss from the top so I was wondering if this issue is a common known one - and if so what is it?

Also I did have some occasional resonation sounds in FF but a really good clean of the tape path seemed to help here - but maybe the two issues are interlinked?

The machine works well but something is not quite right so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
Old 24th Sep 2014, 8:55 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic K Mech mechanical noise

Hi
Just wondered if it might be wear in the tape path - if the tape is sticking slightly on a guide this is the trouble I'd expect as the tape chatters. Try an empty cassette and slow the reels by hand - you should be able to feel if there's any trouble there.
Good luck!
Glyn
Old 24th Sep 2014, 10:06 am   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks Glyn. You know what, I thought about this first of all and so checked the ususal culprit - the lower drum, but it was perfect - not polished or worn. However having a spare K mechanism here I see that there is a 'hidden' tape tensioner/guide which is below the pinch roller and indeed on my spare mech it is worn with a groove. I will check that on my deck later on as it is in the area of the noise. I will report back.
Old 25th Sep 2014, 9:17 am   #4
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Right, I spent a good amount of time and checked over everything. I did find the felt pads a little contaminated and so cleaned these carefully. However I am now feeling that the fault is the tape chattering on the lower (fixed) head. Under a loupe this is in good condition and not polished - it's machining is clear. I have had a very worn machine with polished lower drum actually stall the tape in play. Anyway, I was wondering the best way forwards - I think there may be a fixed residue or even slight oxidisation causing uneven travel. I have got it as clean as possible using isopropyl and a usual cleaning so was wondering about whether a green washing up pad or even Duraglit may be an option. Any input welcome - there is probably a way of doing it that I have not considered.
Old 25th Sep 2014, 1:34 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I wouldn't use a green pad as that will scratch the head - metal poilish might be the way to go here, but to be honest I've never been successful and you might make things worse. If it's not too bad I'd consider living with it - repeated running of tape through the machine might improve matters.
Good luck!
Glyn
Closed Thread