UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2014, 1:21 pm   #41
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: 1964 Rediffusion Mk8

OK, some progress to report. I'm pleased to say that Graham's Telebox is in fact working, so we're in business.

After replacing three very ropey 0.047uf caps on the timebase panel and a 250uf electrolytic (30PL14 cathode bypass) the frame has opened up albeit with some issues still to resolve. Both line and frame holds are right at one end of their travel, so no doubt the associated series resistors are out of spec.

The LOPT doesn't appear to run warm but unfortunately the picture loses brightness after a few minutes running, the width comes in and the picture centre darkens. Possibly the age-old problem of dampness after years of storage. The photo shows the current state of affairs. The foldover on the left due I think to the line hold being right at the limit of adjustment. The set is of course running at 625.

teve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY5901.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	96950  
Old 30th Aug 2014, 4:26 pm   #42
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
I hope the problem is not the line OP transformer.
The line output stage circuit is drawn in a rather difficult to understand manner. I'd reckon the boost capacitor is C189.
The fact that the picture is distorted on the left side indicates that it is the reclaimed part of the waveform is missing.
The attached circuit diagrams might help.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2T1980_10.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	96962   Click image for larger version

Name:	2T1980_11.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	96963   Click image for larger version

Name:	2T1980_12.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	96964  

Last edited by FERNSEH; 30th Aug 2014 at 4:33 pm.
Old 30th Aug 2014, 4:42 pm   #43
Colourstar
Octode

Hi David, Yes I reckoned c189 was the boost too. It was a TCC Supamold type and was evicted as a matter of course.

Having looked again at the symptoms, the picture starts to slowly balloon and fade out after the set has been on for only a couple of minutes. The width in fact stays steady although is insufficient and with the foldover on the left. R25 is in series with the line hold control but is still well within tolerance (470k). The control remains hard over to one end to lock a picture. The line osc valve is an ECC82 and I know these can age, moving the lock. I'll have to see if I have a new one somewhere, but did a quick swap with the other ECC82 on the board to no discernible affect.

Difficult to progress further with the short window of time before the picture vanishes.

Steve
Old 30th Aug 2014, 5:32 pm   #44
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
it's a long shot, but I'm sure there is a spare LOPTx in the shop somewhere. The search is on.

DFWB.
Old 30th Aug 2014, 6:18 pm   #45
Colourstar
Octode

Now that would be impressive!

I've whipped the LOPT out (done in seconds as it unplugs and the assembly unclips) and it appears to be a later version than the one on the Trader Sheet I'm looking at. That one shows an EY86. Mine uses a DY87 (Rediffusion branded original) and has a different component layout.

If the problem is due to damp ingress, I wonder if a spell in the airing cupboard would revive it.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SANY5903.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	96965   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY5904.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	96966   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY5905.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	96967  
Old 30th Aug 2014, 8:57 pm   #46
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
that's unlike the one I have. Mine has edge connectors instead of plugs and sockets.
A spell in the airing cupboard might well drive out any moisture.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 7:11 am   #47
whyperion
Hexode

Found some of the original paperwork for this, which I will scan when I find the time.
Looks like it was bought outright in 1963, (Dec) (about £49inc tax), and no service contract option was taken up. In 1969 they appear to be renting a later model(at£47 a year) (still B&W), so it is possible that a fault developed in 1969 and rather than repair , something new was sourced.
Old 23rd Sep 2014, 3:01 pm   #48
MALC SCOTT
Octode

When i worked at Rediffusion these faulty loptx were sent to the Rochdale factory to be "triplerised" The faulty overwind was removed and a 3 stick (i think) tripler fitted. This practice went on untill the Mk11 chassis. The eht regulation was never as good with the tripler but the customers never complained, Malc.
Old 24th Sep 2014, 7:22 pm   #49
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyperion View Post
Found some of the original paperwork for this, which I will scan when I find the time.
Great news! I'd love to see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALC SCOTT View Post
When i worked at Rediffusion these faulty loptx were sent to the Rochdale factory to be "triplerised" The faulty overwind was removed and a 3 stick (i think) tripler fitted. Malc.
The 'tripler trick' may yet be the way to go on this set.

Steve
Closed Thread