UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2019, 1:20 pm   #1
Ferrograph
Triode

Default Noisy Capstan

I have a 1/4 inch tape deck - a Teac A-3340 to be precise. The capstan runs all the time that the deck is on and is audibly rather noisy. I am not intending to use the deck at the moment but rather like having it turned on occasionally because it looks lovely with its four meters lit up - and it is probably good for it to have a run. Can I lubricate the capstan motor's bearings to hush it up a bit or is there anything else that I can do?

I know that it will always make a bit of a noise but I reckon it could be quieter than it is.

Thanks hugely for any help that you can give.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 1:57 pm   #2
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Noisy Capstan

I suppose they're sintered bronze bearings. In my experience oiling gives no improvement after they become noisy

It's good here
Old 13th Sep 2019, 5:51 pm   #3
Ferrograph
Triode

Oh, so nothing one can do then.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 5:56 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

What's making the noise, capstan, capstan motor or both?

Lawrence.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 6:09 pm   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

Worth checking that the pulleys are clean and the belt in good condition.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 7:46 pm   #6
Ferrograph
Triode

It is a sort of shushing noise Lawrence so it sounds like a bearing.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 7:47 pm   #7
Ferrograph
Triode

I had not thought that it might be driven by pulleys Barry. I need to take a look. Just sort of assumed that it was directly driven.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 2:31 am   #8
TIMTAPE
Octode

It's belt drive like many Teacs in that range. As mentioned it may be the belt is on the way out and/or the drive surfaces dirty. The original belt is of generous proportion and can keep going for 15 years or so, often only needing replacement because it has stretched enough to start slipping on the pulley.

The capstan motor can be switched off with the machine still powered up. Pay off some tape from the take up reel to allow the right hand tape arm to fall and untrip the internal microswitch.

Incidentally, we technicians lubricate bearings not primarily to stop noise but to prolong the life of the bearing! The 3340 capstan bearing is long lasting. I've never seen one really worn out but many have been in need of cleaning and reoiling.

On all three motors I think at least some of the 3340's have oiling tubes front and back. A total of six oiling points via small, clear plastic tubes, probably gone yellow with age.

Tim
Old 16th Sep 2019, 2:46 pm   #9
Ferrograph
Triode

Tim. Wow thanks for all that detail. Really useful. You know when you are made aware that you know something but were too stupid to see it yourself... Well, I replaced that microswitch because it had broken when I got the machine! Completely failed to manage to connect that memory with my current problem. Doh!

I will think about oiling activity. However, with the deck mounted vertically I don't look forward to removing it and taking it apart again - it weighs a ton! Still, should book that in sometime.

Once again thanks, much appreciated Tim. Really useful.
Closed Thread