UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2016, 2:24 pm   #1
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Evolution of the energy recovery diode.

I noticed that although the energy recovery diode (or damper diode) in horizontal output stages is referred to in many television textbooks, there didn't appear to be an overview article showing how the notion of it evolved and how we ended up with the circuit configuration that basically became world standard after RCA released their 621TS TV set in 1946.

It appears Blumlein thought up the idea before WWII, because RCA referred to his patent in their early research literature, but the Americans were first to commercialize the concept on a large scale. So I wrote an article about it decade ago here:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/TELEVI...R_DIODE_OR.pdf

I thought I would open this topic/thread for discussion, if there are others with a knowledge of very early TV sets using the energy recovery technique so as to get a handle on the true chain of events around the 1936 to 1946 period when this remarkable advancement in magnetic horizontal scanning technology took hold.

What is the earliest UK made TV set that incorporated this technique ?
Old 17th Nov 2016, 2:54 pm   #2
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Evolution of the energy recovery diode.

Is this also known as the 'efficiency diode'?
Old 17th Nov 2016, 3:03 pm   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

In the olden days it was also called the "boost diode" PY81/88 for mono and PY500 for colour. In fact the derived supply was called the boost line. And the .47 caps that used to go s\c was referred to as the boost cap, ah, memories.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 3:37 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

In fact it was originally known as the 'booster diode' - remember Bleep and Booster on Blue Peter? We all remember the blue and white boost cap!
Interestingly, the very early GEC 2040 series single-standard hybrid used a conventional PL509 line output valve with a solid state boost diode! I only saw a couple of these - the design reverted to the good old PY500A pretty sharpish. Anyone else remember them?
Glyn
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:18 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Damper diode, reclaim diode and booster diode are all terms used over time.
The damper diode was the attempt to improve the efficiency of the line output stage. You have to go back the early 1930s and the beginnings of magnetic deflection in TV receivers. It was known that at the end of the scan the rapid flyback time initiates an oscillation in the scan coils. A damping resistor across the scan coils can reduce the oscillation but this is wasteful and saps up too much energy. A better solution is to make the damping circuit more frequency selective so a capacitor was inserted in series with the resistor, the degree of damping can be adjusted to serve as a linearity control.
Even better still is use a diode valve to conduct on the first cycle of the "ring" . Valuable energy will stored in a capacitor connected in series with the diode and this can be used to supply extra volts to the line output valve. Take a look at the circuit of the 1949 Murphy V120C to see how it was done.
In fact certain pre-war Baird TVs employed a damper diode. The line output valve was a power triode and the diode was connected across the triode in a reverse manner, that is the diode cathode connected to the anode of the triode and the anode to ground. An HT rectifier diode like the UR1C was used because of the high currents in the damping circuit. See fig 5 in the attachment on post #1
The attachment in the first post shows the evolution of the efficiency diode.
The 1949 HMV 1807 has a damper diode, an U31 which is a radio HT rectifier diode used in AC/DC mains sets.
DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 17th Nov 2016 at 4:29 pm.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:22 pm   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

Yes, gawd that takes me back, a short run idea, almost as crazy as the PL802\t, never seemed quite as good a the thermionic one, and, off topic what about the Pye 697 solid state cda panel.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:36 pm   #7
beery
Heptode

Hi All,

The earliest example of a damper diode (though not used as a boost diode) I have found is in the circuit of the EMI monitors that were used as AP. They must have been designed in about 1935.

See the link to the circuit (see page 22):-
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/a...ok_part-10.pdf

Cheers
Andy
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:43 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Andy,
You beat me to it, I was going to mention the AP picture monitor as well.

DFWB.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:45 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Ler us not forget those TVs that abused the Mazda U801 quadruple-diode as a flyback-rectifier as well as the main HT rectifier.

I guess that to someone the idea of combining the two functions in one 'bottle' seemed to have been a good idea at the time. . .
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:50 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The 'Wireless World' magnetic television receiver [1939] used a URIC as a damper diode. J.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 4:56 pm   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

WW magnetic receiver used parts supplied by Baird Television. BTL advertised scanning components for sale to home constructors.

DFWB.
Old 17th Nov 2016, 7:07 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
...I wrote an article about it decade ago here:

http://worldphaco.com/uploads/TELEVI...R_DIODE_OR.pdf
Good article!
Closed Thread