UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Old 11th May 2024, 10:08 pm   #41
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: RetroTechUK 2024

Get your wristband first before taking the bring-and-buy stuff in, and make sure it’s visible when carrying things in as security will need to see it each time. It just makes things easier for yourself.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 7:54 am   #42
Courtney Louise
Octode

Hi Dave, that would be great, thank you. @Paul, good plan!!
Old 12th May 2024, 5:32 pm   #43
Colourstar
Octode

Well what a great day out- and with perfect weather too! The wristband entry system worked as well as ever and the long queue filtered into the hall very quickly. Hopefully the attendance was good. There were a plethora of stalls to see and I thought the prices were very reasonable indeed. I need to stop saying 'I'm not buying anything this year' as I always end up eating my words! Nice to have an annual catch-up with some familiar faces too.

Many thanks to the BVWS folk for making this great event happen. It felt like a very positive vibe this year and the new venue seems to have bedded in nicely.

Steve
Colourstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 5:52 pm   #44
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I couldn’t agree more, and a big thank-you is also due to the small team who manned the bring-and-buy stall with such patience and good humour, despite being extremely busy all day long, and all for the benefit of the Museum. Well done, chaps!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 5:54 pm   #45
linescan87
Heptode

A big thanks from me to the BVWS team, stallholders and fellow attendees for making yet another wonderful day out.

Great to catch up with familiar faces once again and looking forward to seeing you all again next year.

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
linescan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 6:33 pm   #46
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I was chatting with some of the committee before I left. Although numbers haven’t been verified and compared yet, the treasurer is sure both early and normal entry were up on last year. The hall certainly felt busier especially in the first hour or so of normal entry.

I think the initial issues they noted are the need for more signage on the main road opposite the entrance with arrows pointing to the entrance (Alex is going to get those made), and catering queues again (Greg will discuss with the venue). Best option for food and drinks is probably to take our own!

Having the car park to ourselves was definitely better., and I feel a lot of the niggles from last year that could be sorted were sorted this year.

I had a good day. Although I didn’t buy anything, I had a good chat with a number of forum and BVWS members. I also got rid of a few bits on the bring-and-buy for museum donations (all had gone before I left).

Paul Stenning
Old 12th May 2024, 8:10 pm   #47
bobbyball
Octode

A different view of things this year for me as I usually have a stall, I am a bit busy with other things for that this time but didn't want to miss the "show" either. The queue for entry looked dauntingly long but the clever trick of Jim sorting the entry fee and wristbands while we were in the queue made entry happen very fast.

As always, thanks to all the organisers and helpers for a very enjoyable event, no glitches at all and the car park was just starting to get full as we arrived around 10:20.

Looking forward to next year!
Old 12th May 2024, 8:15 pm   #48
SnowyDog
Triode

Had a very enjoyable visit today, thank you to all who work hard to make this happen. Bought a small Hitachi battery-operated reel-to-reel tape recorder from a really nice chap and spoke to quite a few friendly people. Lots of interesting stuff to see as in previous years.

Question - is there interest in expanding this to include more vintage computing stalls? Saw only one stall with computer stuff and I think there must be scope for more.
SnowyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2024, 8:23 pm   #49
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, Jim selling wristbands along the queue has happened for several years and works well. Means everyone gets in at the same time, and gives a real “show open” buzz when the crowds come in.

I’d love to see more retro computer stalls. Not modern computer fair type stuff though. Hopefully that will happen if the word spreads to the relevant communities.

Paul Stenning
Old 12th May 2024, 8:40 pm   #50
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I am certainly a potential customer if vendors of vintage computers put in an appearance.
Old 12th May 2024, 11:26 pm   #51
gw0udmgw
Triode

I had a good day at the show too, each time I went round I found some more stuff.

Interesting on the comments re vintage computers. I would also like to see more of this - there was one chap in the far corner with an Amiga 2000 (I didn't dare ask the price) and a BBC B but that was pretty much it. I did pick up a Minitel, and a small NEC green screen monitor which I have in mind for an Apple II. Also I got a 'data recorder' suitable for a Speccy etc.

It struck me that there really aren't any events catering to this sort of thing - there are a few 'retro gaming' events but they are all about consoles and games and not really about the computer hardware side of it. there are also one or two manufacturer specific ones (eg 'Crash Live' for Sinclair) but not much else.

I don't know if there are actually traders operating in this area who have stocks to sell but I'd love to see them.

Thanks to all involved in organising this year

James
gw0udmgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 7:48 am   #52
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

James, have you tried an amateur radio ‘rally’? Many of these also have traders selling computer gear, much to the annoyance of some traditionalist radio hams.

It’s been some years since I went to one, but if you visit the RSGB website at https://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/ you’ll find a list. It’s good to note that the RSGB includes BVWS events in their list.

73 de Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 13th May 2024 at 7:51 am. Reason: Addendum
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 9:24 am   #53
gw0udmgw
Triode

Hi Phil

Yes I do go to rallies when I can although these are a rare thing nowadays. When I was younger I went to the Granby Halls event, Elvaston, one at Drayton Manor etc which were vast but there's hardly anything left now. I am

I've found bits and pieces of computer stuff there but it's still a bit of a mixed bag.

Reminds me though, must get back on the radio - I have some nice gear (including a 1970s Yaesu boat anchor) but it's been sat on the shelf for years. Had a lot of fun on the packet scene in the mid-90s

73 James
gw0udmgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 11:04 am   #54
audiomagpie
Heptode

Hi All

First of all, thank you to all who supported this event by either visiting or having a stall, I don't know the exact attendance numbers until treasurer Simon reports back but we certainly had more folk though the door than last year.

As regards vintage computing, we'd certainly encourage it, it's all part of our technological heritage. We don't dictate to stall holders what they should bring, it's up to them. Stall contents change as trends and interests change. I was just thinking to myself yesterday how the stalls have changed sine I started coming to the event a quarter of a century ago at the NEC. The telephony and mechanical gramophone stalls have certainly reduced. Not as many 30's woody radios. And audio is much more part of it now - I suppose because it can still be used and enjoyed without having to worry about broadcasters pulling the plugs on transmissions or formats and can be adopted for streaming too.

But if it's electronic, electromechanical and anything to do with entertainment or communications over the years, we'd still love to see it at this fair!

BVWS committee chairman
audiomagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 12:58 pm   #55
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

The early start 3.15am was well worth it for us. Steve and I had an excellent day. I would like to say a big Thank You to Greg and every one who worked so hard to bring it all together on the day. Looking forwards to the next event.

John.
Old 13th May 2024, 1:11 pm   #56
Andrewausfa
Octode

I had a great day out with my friends. I bet ten Mullard modules it was definitely busier than last year. The car park was rammed around 10:30 am when I dropped some bits back to the car with a lot of arrivals hunting for spaces. Plenty of bargains, a few dreamers and lots of buttons to press, knobs to twist and ask people what unusual things were. Seemed a good spectrum across the ages too.

No idea how long it was taking to get food but as Paul mentions, the queue looked pretty horrendous mid-day. It was very warm and I did feel for the older folk standing there in the sun. My own fault as I didn't bring any food so had nothing all day but I will definitely bring a packed lunch next year.

Andrew
Old 13th May 2024, 2:14 pm   #57
telstar
Octode

Hi. I had a great day out there, and so did the people that gave me a lift there. A shame that i can not get there easier by rail like in previous venues.
I managed to obtain a Roberts R707, and a Telefunken Supers Jubilate 9 radio.
It was great to meet up with other folk that support Radio Caroline. It is long overdue having recognition for this station, after all these old radios were once used to listen to the offshore radio ships
telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 2:23 pm   #58
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I think the issue with the food queue is that people who have been at the show for 2-3 hours may look at the queue and decide to head home and get something on the way, rather than having lunch then another look around.

I think next year we should encourage people to bring their own food and drinks more. It's easy enough to pick something up from a petrol station or motorway services on the way.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th May 2024, 3:35 pm   #59
Beobloke
Heptode

This was my first visit to the new venue and I wasn't overly enamoured by it - it seems a lot smaller than the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre but maybe it was just the same number of stalls crammed into the same (hot!) space.

That said, it was superbly organised as always and I had a thoroughly decent day out. One purchase nearly fell by the wayside as I forgot to bring any cash with me, and walked to the local cashpoint only to find it out of order! Fortunately (or unfortunately...) a friend didn't buy anything and was able to loan me the required funds for a very sweet Alphason turntable and arm.

Whilst standing and waiting for said friend at the end, I found a tiny Alba record player with a Garrard CC-10 mini changer calling to me for £3, so had to have that as well.

As an aside, the WEC was closed with no event on when we drove past it. I hope they're feeling suitably chastened for pricing the event out of there.
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2024, 4:03 pm   #60
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I had a great day yesterday and met up with several forum members and exchanged various radios in the car park! My efforts to not buy too many things went by the wayside rather early coming away with 2 old Commodore computers and then a Pye B18T on the B&B stall followed shortly after by another one at a very good price! Then finally as I was leaving I took pity on the Ultra television with the EM81 magic eye on the B&B stall and that came home with me as well.

It was very well run and went in straight away. The hall was well packed with stalls and I doubt you could have fitted any more in. It did get hot later on even with the doors open. Maybe it would be worth seeing if the bar by the entrance could be open in the afternoon to serve cold drinks? Think quite a lot would have been sold yesterday !!

I think it was on par with the WEC for number of stalls. Probably a smaller footprint size hall overall. The density of stalls here is probably more. The entrance area is much smaller than WEC.

Already looking forward to the next one

Christopher Capener