UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 14th May 2024, 4:51 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Spot welding resistance wire?

I've been musing on this as I consider repairing a toaster. It's a DeLonghi four slice with a break in the element right in the middle. To access it would require removing all the edge frames (lots of bent-tab-in-slot fixings) and disconnecting the wires from the OK element sections to move them out of the way.

They're all flattened wires spot welded together, and spot-welded to the PCB connections so reconnecting would mean a lot of silver soldering.

Has anyone managed to redo this sort of micro spot welding at a domestic scale? I have seen some references to do with people making lithium battery banks, but whether that's just advertising I don't know.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 7:23 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Spot welding resistance wire?

I believe Elektor mag were recently advertising a small spot welder for use on batteries etc, should work nicely for your task

Ed
Ed_Dinning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 8:13 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quite tricky would be my guess. Too much current and the metal is vaporised - too little and it doesn't weld.

These might be worth checking out:

'Mini Spot Welder, Handheld Battery Spot Welder Pen, Integrated Spot-Welding Machine for Industrial Assembling Battery Packs':

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09SB9Z8...T1zcF9kZXRhaWw

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Welding-Han.../dp/B08X4QZ3PT

Youtube Video:

'Repair Attempt - Super Cheap Spot Welder'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_ir69kB5Q
David G4EBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 8:18 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

I recently borrowed one of the little lithium battery spot welders, to weld some approx.23swg thermocouple wires onto a capillary tube (don't ask!).

It did the job fine, I started low and it did not weld, then turned it up a couple of notches and there was a brief incandescent glow and when I took the probes away it had welded it all together.

It was this type of thing with separate electrodes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Wel...y%2C176&sr=1-6
Old 14th May 2024, 10:49 pm   #5
Buzby123
Heptode

Our DeLonghi 4-slot toaster had exactly the same problem.

I opened it up, looked at the slot-and-tab construction, spot-welded joints, and thought too much trouble.

Now it's just used as a 2-slot toaster.
Buzby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2024, 10:59 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

A TIG machine which goes low enough in current can do the job, but an active-when-hot flux is needed to clean the surfaces of the metals. Good mechanical cleaning-polishing helps a lot and I did get a brazing type Borax flux to work. You definitely need high-frequency arc start. Forming thermocouples becomes easy with a bit of practice.

DAvid
Old 15th May 2024, 9:26 am   #7
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Spot welding resistance wire?

Hi,
I've seem to remember somewhere that a spot weld could be accomplished by discharging a large-ish capacitor across the workpiece via electrodes.
I don't know any details, but a possibility?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 15th May 2024, 9:45 am   #8
McMurdo
Dekatron

I tried the capacitor method before using the little spot welder but never had much luck. As soon as the electrodes are brought together there's a discharge and it just blows a bit of the metal away. The spot welders from amazon have a contact detection circuit that waits a couple of seconds after seeing the circuit, giving you enough time to add just enough pressure, so then the current turns on and off and the job's done.

I used to go and fix spot welders (old ones from the late 70's) used for making brake shoes and they had a multi-level current control that did a pre-heat discharge, a delay, a main weld discharge, a cooling delay then a release. Somewhat bigger than required for a toaster element as they had water cooled electrodes but I suspect these little amazon jobbies have a similar system as some of them come with a tiny LCD screen that allow programming of this type of weld.

All a bit over the top for a toaster I suppose unless you're making an industry of it
Old 16th May 2024, 10:03 pm   #9
trsomian
Hexode

In my limited experience the capacitor discharge method produces an enormous peak current, but it is too short to really do the job well
trsomian is offline   Reply With Quote