UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jun 2011, 6:50 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Philips AG8107

I don't usually buy open reel decks, but this cute little philips caught my eye.
I have never seen one like it, i would be grateful if someone could give me some info on it, such as year, rarity etc.
It came from a house clearance, complete with 2 pin 5amp plug, i had a quick look inside, luckily it does not have the usual gooey belts, but is run via an idler wheel to a large flywheel, the reels are driven by a figure of eight springy metal band, very odd, very philips

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0169.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	52302   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0170.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	52303   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0171.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	52304   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0172.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	52305  
Old 11th Jun 2011, 7:03 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips AG8107

1956 Vintage. This deck was used on several machines, and they can be complicated to sort out if they do go wrong. Normally belts and muck.

Electronically it's fairly simple. Mechanically these can be a bit of a nightmare.

Winds, Play, Record and On/Off are on the big knob at the centre of the unit. The On/Off switch can fail, or at least get mucky. Winds are done by turning the knob to Rewind/Fast Forward and pressing the knob down.

Sheet for it is here: http://www.service-data.com/product.php/4533/6015

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 11th Jun 2011, 10:04 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Cheers Steve, luckily it does not have any belts apart from the reel drive, but this is metal, it does sort of work, amps fine but the deck obviously needs work
as the lube has hardened, but the mechanics are all working, as you say it does look to be a Complicated deck, typical philips

Mark
Old 13th Jun 2011, 12:47 pm   #4
ricard
Octode

I seem to recall there is a rubber coated groove on the flywheel which the belt runs in, the rubber tends to crumble with age, and is hard to replace (not to mention finding a spare one) as basically the whole mechanics must be disassembled to remove the flywheel.

Also, outside the UK this machine is known as the EL3510.

/Ricard

Last edited by ricard; 13th Jun 2011 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Added info on alternate designation.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 6:08 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Tim likes this.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 2:10 pm   #6
tri-comp
Heptode

I have the EL3510 English Language and complete service-manual with deck-description and adjustments, schematics and parts-list, all in pdf.

PM me for a free copy if you want it.

rgds,

/tri-comp
Old 18th Dec 2011, 10:58 pm   #7
Liagouras
Retired Dormant Member

Hi everybody!
I try to restore a vintage tape recorder Philips EL3510. I am looking for the service manual, can somebody help me?
Closed Thread