UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2019, 12:52 pm   #1
djf1943
Retired Dormant Member

Default Beogram 1500 Record Deck

Hi everybody i have a B & O Beogram 1500 record deck that i purchased in 1968, it has not been used for over 30 years and i want to replace the drive belt does anybody know how you remove the turntable/platter to replace the belt, i have tried lifting it without success and it does not seem to have any screws or springs securing it, i would appreciate any help. thanks.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 4:50 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Beogram 1500 Record Deck

This isn't easy. First you have to remove the deck, which involves taking off the wooden surround from underneath, then unsoldering the four fine wires and the earth braid from the arm through a small access hole in the side. This is important, it is very easy to damage them if you forget. Then, snap the catches under the four transit screws over and lift the deck up, at which point you can disconnect the wiring to the motor.

With the deck out, drive the roll pin out which holds the gear (which does nothing) onto the centre spindle. With the roll pin out the platter will lift away, leaving the gear in the central housing.

If its never been apart it's going to need lots more than just a belt. The variable speed mechanism and the pivot for the idler will be seized solid for a start, and the motor is likely to need work so that it can run at the right speed. There is normally far more to this than just 'a belt'. In fact, the belt is the one bit that is likely to be OK from experience.
Old 16th Jan 2019, 8:33 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Seconded. You really need to know what you are doing to service one of these, I've done quite a lot and it still takes a couple of hours to service them. In fact they can be so seized that you need a lot of heat to free it off, BUT if you go about it the wrong way, you'll destroy it.

The motor bearings will also need servicing.

Even with the turntable off, replacing the belt is not a job for the faint hearted.

Please also be aware that the cartridge and stylus are very delicate and replacements can be very expensive.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 29th Jan 2019, 4:17 pm   #4
djf1943
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the information, as i am not going to keep it, it would probably be too expensive to repair so i will sell it as spares or repair.
Closed Thread