UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jan 2019, 4:01 am   #1
castinsugar
Triode

Default Baby Jukebox

Hi everyone first post and new to the excellent website.

I have a Baby JukeBox, based upon the early model of the Wurlitzer. Does anyone know who the maufacturer is or was, as when doing a websearch virtually nothing comes up only images.

On mine for some reason I have no lights at all, I have everything else powered the unit is working great but it doesn't light up. I've not taken it apart yet, the other question is this a usual fault? A circuit, switch or even a series bulb blown maybe?

Ok well hopefull of any answers but if not I'll report back when i have found the problem I love this Baby Jukebox and need it to be living and breathing again.

Thanks
Old 13th Jan 2019, 1:20 pm   #2
castinsugar
Triode

Default Re: Baby Jukebox

Never mind, I am going to turn this into a working project I note there is very little information on this Juke Box available. So will be starting a blog in the appropriate section on here with pictures showing the strip down.
The juke box has been stripped and have probably found the suspect bulb, the unit is well constructed however many of the screws have broken off because of rust with others still in position they will have to be very carefully drilled out as i want to replace every bulb.
I thought when i took the back off i was going to see a load of moulded plastic, but no, much of it is a mixture of chipboard and real woods with the outer skin a thin laminate.
Will be back...
Old 13th Jan 2019, 4:31 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Please add some photos
Old 14th Jan 2019, 9:26 pm   #4
castinsugar
Triode

Default Baby Jukebox 1946

Hi there i have posted this question in another section of this website and was wondering if anyone out there knows the answer to these questions or can help me with a problem.
I got hold of what is called A Baby Jukebox 1946 a retro reissue of the famous Wurlitzer.
Firstly this was for a restoration project but i am now hesitant about proceeding any further.
The reason being is that it seems these Juke boxe's seem to be highly collectible as they are like Gold dust made by a company called Elta I believe and the model of the Jukebox is seems to be 2753.
The company no longer exisits it seems but have no idea where they are or were based, India maybe I'm not sure.
I have searched extensively on the background of this particular model JB and nothing comes up other than some images of a few others and a video playing a shadows number in the background.
And that is completely it I was surprised to see some of the prices this JB was going for £545...£146......£417.
Well got it for a whole lot less than that, So the problem i have is that fitted into it are 22 lightbulbs excluding the radio i forgot to remove them but will add them into the actual number later.
Out of that 22 bulbs 16 are blown which i thought was odd because if they were in series one bulb goes the lot goes off am i right?

So the problem i have is the bulbs i want to replace them for some new, the trouble is i have no clue what the Wattage or Volts are of this bulb because nothing is stamped on the case or the bulb (Definitely India surely)
So how do i test the bulbs that are good to figure out what the voltage of them are etc.
They are similar to torch light bulbs the type you screw in.. I really hope I'm successful in nailing why 16 bulbs have blown and not the others around 6. Is there going to be a voltage dropper transformer someplace and these bulbs are actually 12v.
Any help would be welcome Thank you.
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:15 pm   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Not similar to one of these things by any chance?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1946-Oldi...K6h:rk:40:pf:0
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:40 pm   #6
Cobaltblue

Is it this https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/...p-jukebox-1884

If so good luck way too, modern for me.

I think stuff like this is still being sold at The Range.

https://www.therange.co.uk/electrica...ukebox/#201530

Cheers

Mike T
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:04 pm   #7
kevinaston1
Hexode

p-jukebox and The Range.

No, most definitely not a Jukebox. I had a couple of these in for repair just before I retired. They were both built around an obscure car radio and multichanger. I contacted the manufacturers for service data, but they were unable to help with any information, and they did not carry spare parts for them and they were about 18 months old.

Kevin
Old 28th Jan 2019, 8:31 am   #8
castinsugar
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Not similar to one of these things by any chance?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1946-Oldi...K6h:rk:40:pf:0
Hi ya sorry for the long delay in reply, No the Juebox in this link is a miniture and is different to what I have.. Will post some pictures soon.
Old 28th Jan 2019, 8:41 am   #9
castinsugar
Triode

Cobalt Blue: Sorry for delay in reply, yes the top link that is the Jukebox. The one being sold at the Range Hmn?? I am not a fan of that model..
Do you think maybe the manufacturer of the Range model was also the manufacturer of mine?
Everything else i have come across is made in plastic where as the majority of this Jukebox is a mixture of wood veneer and chipboard, creating parchments that different parts of electrics are located within.
My problem is who made it? What country? Certainly not China, Countiries i am considering Germany, or India.
I have since contacted a German company but as yet no reply.
Old 28th Jan 2019, 9:06 am   #10
castinsugar
Triode

Thank you for the replies although taken me a while to get back here. OK I have one picture taken recently but have no clue where i placed it. I have found some JK's that seem identical to the one I have but there seems to be nothing as to who the manufacturer was or is.
I have found some info, a couple of names mentioned in adverts selling similar Jukeboxes but nothing has yielded fruits as yet.

Now i do have some ideas Germany, India, I have contacted the German manufacturer but as yet no reply.

Only miserable factor about this Juke box is the lights do not work, I am trying to find what rating the small screw in bulbs are or if there is a transformer In this Jukebox that maybe converts 240v down to 12volt and these bulbs then maybe torchlight bulbs.
Everything works but the lighting, I have the Jukebox playing in the hallway right now but it does look a mess because all the facias have been removed to get to the bulbs.. Strangely i have 16 blown out of about 24.
Nobody was ever going to replace the bulbs anyway as getting the facias of would be a nightmare since the old screws holding the facias in place broke off if you could get the screwdriver to sit in the Phillips screw, The rest had to be carefully drilled out.
I will have to get new screws for it thats the easy part, Its knowing where to get the bulbs but more important is what rating are they? Thanks for the reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b07f09ca-0b32-4f57-a43d-62b168549101.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	177242   Click image for larger version

Name:	535e110b3afa02fe6d00003c.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	177243   Click image for larger version

Name:	image;s=585x461.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	177244  
Old 28th Jan 2019, 9:37 am   #11
Station X

I suggest that you check whether the lamps are wired in series or in parallel. The fact that some lamps still work suggests they're wired in parallel. Moving working lamps from socket to socket will show whether the wiring is OK.

If you have a meter you could measure the voltage across a working lamp and you'd be part way towards determining its specification.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jan 2019, 10:06 am   #12
castinsugar
Triode

Many thanks yes I did think about the Parallel line to be honest and will be checking the holders and wiring later.. Thanks

Some news on the company, seems to be the same company who manufactured a similar Juke Box (The Spirit Of St. Louis 1996) By Polyconcept USA Inc.
Awaiting reply...
Old 28th Jan 2019, 10:59 pm   #13
castinsugar
Triode

Hi there Station X, OK i have tested the bulb holders and switch for any voltage all of which are dead.
There is no feed to the switch at all and the only item there is a transformer which goes to what appears to be a number of tiny circuit boards which have no actual components on.
The tiny boards just appear bridging so each bulb holder is daisy chained.
You have two transformers the main one is feeding other parts of the Juke box and is working, however the other transformer which is only feeding the lighting I am guessing is blown or no longer working because that is he only item actually on the circuit before the bulbs.
Old 28th Jan 2019, 11:09 pm   #14
Station X

Are there AC voltages on the primary and secondary windings of the transformer?

Old 29th Jan 2019, 12:13 am   #15
castinsugar
Triode

Hi there no i have had no chance to test this transformer as had to come off this project for a moment but i did note that this transformer seemed to be quite hot compared to the other one which is feeding the radio and other areas of the Juke box but i will let you know I have a feeling that the test is going to prove the transformer as the culprit I will add some pics in a couple of days thanks for your help.
Old 29th Jan 2019, 1:49 am   #16
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

Hmm, in post 4 you had 6 bulbs still working. So you can't have no voltage across them, nor a dead transformer. Or am I really starting to go senile in my old age?
Old 29th Jan 2019, 1:58 am   #17
nicam49
Hexode

Have you got a multimeter? If not, then you can buy one for under a tenner that will help you test the bulbs for continuity and resistance and what volts you've got feeding them. You will need to set the meter volts to both d.c. and a c. to measure, in case the supply is rectified, but I imagine it'll just be supplying a.c. volts.
Old 29th Jan 2019, 9:15 am   #18
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by castinsugar View Post
Hi there Station X, OK i have tested the bulb holders and switch for any voltage all of which are dead.
There is no feed to the switch at all .
That statement suggests to me that the OP has a meter and has used it.

The OP also says that lamps have blown meaning that the filaments have been ruptured. Of course it's possible that the filaments are intact and the lamps had no voltage across them.

I did suggest that the OP swop working lamps for non-working ones to prove things one way or the other, but whether he tried that I don't know. Using a meter to check filament continuity is a better option.

Old 29th Jan 2019, 5:00 pm   #19
nicam49
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8UWM-MildMartin View Post
Hmm, in post 4 you had 6 bulbs still working. So you can't have no voltage across them, nor a dead transformer. Or am I really starting to go senile in my old age?
Rereading this, I think he meant he has 6 bulbs that are NOT blown, but that NO bulbs are lighting up, so I'm taking that to mean he's tested all the bulbs, of which 6 are OK. However, nothing is lighting up. It would be useful to know what the 'good' bulbs resistance measured at in case he's mistaken and they're just extremely high resistance and hence u/s anyway.
Old 30th Jan 2019, 8:51 am   #20
castinsugar
Triode

HI there. the first thing i did was to remove all the bulbs. Thinking it was a straight forward process of replacing the bulbs.I tested each and every bulb which are the screw in bulb the sort that you would find in some torches not the bayonet type bulbs.
Now this is where the confusion has come and probably because i didn't explain it correctly.
Six of the bulbs the filament was intact and six bulbs passed the continuity test i did not mean the bulbs were actually working in the juke box.
The other sixteen bulbs filaments inside were broken, or no filament at all, or the glass of the bulb was so black you could not see filament but all sixteen failed the coninuity test.

Now as i know with some Christmas lights one bulb blows and a certain line of them go out where as others still might continue to work i as these are wired on a different circuit, I thought the same might apply here but having no knowledge what rating the bulbs are and was i going to take a chance ordering 22 bulbs.

i tested the bulb holders and none have any voltage at all i could see that wires were going into this large sealed box where the speakers are and in the base of the cabinet inside that box is a transforner in fact there are two them, one outside this box feeds the rest of the jukebox which is working where as the transformer feeding the bulbs there seems to be nothing coming from it.
Unfortunately i have damaged the top of my shoulder so am in dire pain with that so cannot do anything at the moment and typing one handed is a pain.

But one of my initial questions was how do i test the bulb to find out what voltage it is and th wattage. I will test the transformer once i can use my arm. I will upload more pictures soon.
Much apprecated of all your help. When i come back to this i will go through everything again and most definitely test the transformer.

Last edited by castinsugar; 30th Jan 2019 at 9:04 am. Reason: mistake
Closed Thread