UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2018, 10:56 am   #21
LyntonP
Hexode

Default Re: Yaesu FRG7

Hi John many thanks for the interesting and extensive reply. A wealth of information to follow up. During my investigations I did come to some dead ends since many of the companies who offered modifications are sadly no longer around. Even common items are becoming harder to find e.g. I have been looking for an isolation transformer but they are like hen's teeth! Certainly when I was more active there were a number of outlets in my area but these have all gone.
I have found a renewed enthusiasm for radio and I may even dig out the old 101 out of the loft and return to the bands!
Again many thanks for the most informative reply.
Lynton G4XCQ
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 6:32 pm   #22
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: Yaesu FRG7

And the other part of this is that the FRG-7 was introduced in about 1976, ie over 40 years ago. It is amazing that we can still be having this conversation about mods to this radio. It says a lot about its design, ie the minimum required to do the job, and very repairable. And the case must be one of the better ones ever put into a budget short wave receiver.

Technology has moved on too. The mechanical filters which were used disappeared long ago. Murata no longer makes those particular ceramic filters, but one can at least find them. The OKI MSM5523/4/5/6 frequency display ic's became almost unobtanium long ago. There was a clever arrangement using two of these chips which was used in the Lowe SRX-30D and the Century 21D. It only worked because of the exact frequencies used in the receiver. Today you can easily find PIC based counters with adjustable offsets which you could use for a kHz display. A MHz display as well would be harder to do.

I have one which needs repair. I will probably replace the electrolytic caps first. There aren't that many, only 15 or so.
Closed Thread