UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:45 am   #81
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Variable HT regulator circuit.

Working well now. Referring back to my earlier comments about "soft starts" with psu's using silicon diodes, what I've found is that by putting a 10uF electrolytic cap in parallel with C3, the output volts comes up quite slowly, taking about 10-15 seconds to reach working value and that could obviously extended if you wanted to with a larger cap. So apart from working well as a regulated HT supply, this circuit is a fine way of harmonising silicon rectifiers with vintage valve gear. My HRO, with its new solid-state psu, will love it .

B

Last edited by AC/HL; 23rd Nov 2014 at 1:18 pm. Reason: As requested
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:50 am   #82
julie_m
Dekatron

So the opto-isolator output is actually a voltage source that turns on the FET?

I think I might have to investigate these devices, for something I am thinking of building, as it could potentially save me from having to add an overwinding to a power transformer ..... It would only be a few turns, and easily poked in around the bobbin, but a way of doing it without a separate gate drive supply looks interesting.
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 12:58 am   #83
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

@ajs - just to be clear, the delay function I refer to is with the regulator circuit in post #46; I've not yet explored the opto-isolator circuit.

B
Old 23rd Nov 2014, 1:48 pm   #84
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
So the opto-isolator output is actually a voltage source that turns on the FET?
I think I might have to investigate these devices, for something I am thinking of building, as it could potentially save me from having to add an overwinding to a power transformer ...
Yes, it's a neat little floating voltage source to provide 10V MOSFET gate turn on
(As i say, both devices in the 8DIP device need to be in series, only one shown for simplicity),

Yours is an interestîng application , keep us posted
Old 25th Nov 2014, 2:33 am   #85
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Following great public demand (!), I've uploaded the Veroboard layout I used for the HT regulator. In the process of conversion from Freelance to JPEG, the tracks have come out oddly both in grey and yellow; just ignore .
I actually omitted C1 as I added the regulator to an existing psu, but I've included C1 in outline. I've just designated the zener string as 'Zs' (I used 3x 100V, Jim used 5x 47 V) Hope the upload is usable; let me know if any issues.

B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vero big ht vv circuit.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	100601  
Old 25th Nov 2014, 10:58 am   #86
jim_jobe
Heptode

That's great Bazz. As you say C1 isn't really necessary if you're using this as an add-on.
Jim
Old 25th Nov 2014, 5:16 pm   #87
daviddeakin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Following great public demand (!), I've uploaded the Veroboard layout I used for the HT regulator.
Your pot is shown wired up wrong in the diagram. You might also be interested in this application for drawing strip board circuits:
https://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/
Closed Thread