UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:00 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Interesting 13A Plug

Well, I think it is, never having seen one before... It's an 'MK' BS1363 13A plug - with a built-in single pole switch. I 'won' it from a friend who had it attached to a 'Belling' parabolic two-element fire, although I can't say if it is contemporaneous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug_02.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	44616   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug_01.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	44617  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:11 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Interesting 13A Plug

Hi,
I have a couple of these in my plug collection, I think that mine may be the slightly smaller variants without the side flanges.
Many years ago a friends auntie had a plug identical to yours attached to her washing machine.

Andrew
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:24 pm   #3
Richard
Heptode

Hi

I have one, on my Advance Type H1B or HIB? AF signal generator which has a missing on/off switch.

Richard

PS it has "AF Sig Gen" written across the back in permanent marker - am I bad ?
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:35 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've got a brown one, otherwise identical. They're not uncommon and can be found by rummaging through boxes of electrical bits at boot sales and flea markets.
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 11:44 pm   #5
Jamie-Skinner
Retired Dormant Member

I've got plenty similar but without the switch
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 1:14 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-Skinner View Post
I've got plenty similar but without the switch
So have I, but I've never seen a switched one! Interestingly, when our house was rewired with 13A sockets in the early 1960s, many of them weren't switched, so I guess these plugs would complement them.

Wonder if they were more popular in some parts of the country than others - some types of round-pins, for example, were used in council-housing rewiring work in some areas; not in others.

- Or maybe I've just had a sheltered upbringing with regard to the 13A plug!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 3:24 pm   #7
Jamie-Skinner
Retired Dormant Member

Our house still has round pin plugs in place... it's 50's so not that old... But yeah, never seen a switched plug altough then plug sockets were unswitched?
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 3:53 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

As Darren said, they're not very rare. I've got a brown one that I've owned from new, bought when I was a kid. May have a couple more lurking. i've seen other examples since and not taken much notice of them.

They raise the question about why we in the UK regard switching off as so important. In many countries including the US and much of Europe sockets are normally unswitched. Stuff is either unplugged or left plugged in and turned off at the appliance.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 4:52 pm   #9
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Interesting 13A Plug

Hi,
I've got about half a dozen MK switched plugs here that I brought with me. I've also got two W&G examples from Woolworths that have a "rocker" type switch and a neon. Oddly, I've seen far fewer of these W&G ones than the MK ones. Anyone else got one?
Cheers, Pete
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 5:12 pm   #10
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Yes, I have one too. Should last for years and is very useful when plugged into an un-switched extension block.

I think it has a little red triangular pointer under the retaining screw indicating whether it has a 3, 5 or 13-amp fuse fitted.

It is much better constructed than the modern equivalent which, although has a neon indicator, seems to have very feeble construction by comparison.

Regards,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PL1003707-40.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	44642  
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 6:56 pm   #11
AndiiT
Octode

Having just had a rummage through my plug and socket collection, for other reasons than this thread, I have found two black MK switched plugs without the side flanges, as I mentioned earlier, and one identical to Russells white one shown in the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
.... I've also got two W&G examples from Woolworths that have a "rocker" type switch and a neon....
I used to have a WG plug identical to the one that Pete mentions, which had a rocker switch and a neon, it was connected to my parents Fidelity playmaster tape recorder for some time.

Andrew
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 7:11 pm   #12
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I have a few here, some with 'full-height' flanges, and others with vestigial flanges near the L & N pins. Were these flanges an early attempt to address the same issue which is now dealt with by partially-sheathed pins?
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 9:00 pm   #13
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Interesting 13A Plug

Hi,
Here's a pic of my W&G switched plugs, one with the cover off and a W&G 7amp fuse fitted. Also shown is a Duraplug 4 way plug with a neon, possibly designed when audio separates were all the rage back in the 70s. Top right is a Sunvic Regulator type ERP-X simmerstat plug. Probably meant for those old fashioned table top boiling rings.
The flanges, or finger shields are indeed to prevent ones fingers sliding towards the pins. Mind you, plugs with sleeved pins still have the flanges.
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13amp plugs (1).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	44650  
Old 21st Jan 2011, 2:02 pm   #14
pichacker
Hexode

The bottom left one in your photo with the central switch and neon brings back chilling memories. I had one of these as a kid, bought from woolies, fitted to my "Remploy" soldering iron. Without warning one day it spontaneously combusted with a large plume of sparks and flames exiting from the bottom scortching the wall.

I ran for the consumer unit to isolate it. By the time I returned then plug was a chared mess. My dad was not too happy with having to re decorate either!!
Closed Thread