UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2010, 8:11 pm   #1
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Belling 601 Portable Fire

Colourstar's thread on the Belling 264 inspired me to dig out my old Belling 601 which has been in the family since new. I remember this fire from when I was a boy being pushed into service in our Cornish cottage during really cold winters. I think it was old then, back in the 1960's, and remember well that it used to work well and some members of the family were a little wary of using it. It did break down once when the element wire blew dramaticly throwing sparks half way across the room. The element was repaired by a local electrical shop in Helston back in the late 1960's or early 1970's.
Some years later when I was living in my small flat I rescued this from my parents new house as it was about to be thrown out and I used it frequently during the winters of the 1980's and 1990's. I noticed that it was taking longer to warm up accompanied by a strong smell of burning rubber. A new mains cable was fitted and it continued in mainline service for many years. I have dug it out today gave it a good dust out switched on and it worked first time after being laid up for years. Its still very effective and chucks out a very impressive 1Kw, it was only running for about 30 mins this afternoon and everyone in the house started to complain about the heat.
I don't know how old this fire is and nobody in my familly can quite remember when it was bought, I would guess 1950's but it may be earliar it does not look like there was much health and safety considerations when this was made but according to the stamped label on the back it conforms to both BS1670 and BS1945.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2010 036.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	41309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2010 038.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	41310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2010 034.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	41311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2010 031.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	41312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Misc 2010 030.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	41313  

Old 11th Oct 2010, 10:33 pm   #2
Rob_Lewis
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Belling 601 Portable Fire

Looks like it was made in an electric chair factory.
Old 11th Oct 2010, 11:45 pm   #3
Tim
Dekatron

Hi Simon

My (late)Auntie had one of those,(complete with "old lady" joint in the mains cable!! She did some sort of course in the WAF during the war and the whole house was like it.) and she used to say the projections on the back were to allow the fire to be laid on it's back and used as a stove. (Knowing her it probably was-and run from a light socket!) Try it, the front grill will be level..............
Safe or what!

The only references I can find to BS1945 I can find is with regard to guarding, dated 1971. I'm sure the fire is older than that though, so I expect the BS has been revised.

Last edited by Tim; 12th Oct 2010 at 12:00 am.
Old 12th Oct 2010, 8:29 am   #4
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Hello Simon,

Is it the camera or are there several hotspots on the element?

Cheers
Old 12th Oct 2010, 7:28 pm   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

There are indeed some hotspots but when you leave it run everything seems even out. I think it does not help that it has not been switched on for many years. The amazing thing about this fire is that as well as radiant heat from the elements there is also heat wafting through the vents on top of the case making it a small convector heater as well.
Old 12th Oct 2010, 9:10 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Lovely! Just how I remember them. These were horrendous 'Trouser Burners' but men were real men then, simply dousing the flames and getting on with the job. Nice one! J.
Old 13th Oct 2010, 8:46 am   #7
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Yes untill people started wearing crimpolene

I have one of those .Im sure as stared the BS no must have had an earlier life than 1971 .I have a fire of my Grandmothers that must at the latest be 1940s and has that number
Old 13th Oct 2010, 12:53 pm   #8
harvestgold
Hexode

Lovely fire! I have a 2KW version here in the same design and finish, which I use in my garage's back storeroom section. Like you say, these things certainly belt out the heat. I definitely wouldn't use it as a stove, but I have used it as a superbly effective toaster before now!

Neil
Old 13th Oct 2010, 4:30 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
she used to say the projections on the back were to allow the fire to be laid on it's back and used as a stove.
Probably true - a number of electric fires were marketed in that way, but how many were ever used as stoves I don't know!
Old 13th Oct 2010, 9:57 pm   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Interesting so possibly dates back to the 1940's. No Tim I have never used this as a toaster but can see that it would be an effective one and I am also happy to say that I have not tried to run it from a lighting socket
Old 13th Oct 2010, 10:21 pm   #11
matthewhouse
Octode

Quote:
she used to say the projections on the back were to allow the fire to be laid on it's back and used as a stove.
I wouldn't like to clean the food splatters out of the elements, and a pan boiling over onto the open elements would be interesting too.
Old 13th Oct 2010, 11:53 pm   #12
Herald1360
Dekatron

I reckon it would be pretty much self cleaning just don't run it from a RCD protected supply when boiling things over

Give it a quick vacuum when it's cooled down....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Oct 2010, 8:50 am   #13
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

A Mad friend of mine when he first lived away from home back in the 7os used to cook sausages on the electric fire !
Old 14th Oct 2010, 9:28 am   #14
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Wasn't there a wall mounted version of this type of electric fire, which seemed to be used extensively in some local authority housing in the 1950/60s?

Andrew
Old 14th Oct 2010, 12:11 pm   #15
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

There was a wall mounted version.

I've always been under the impression that the protrusions on the back are to space it away from a wall in the upright position.

The back plate of these has a tendency to become very hot so it could have scorced the wall paper at the very least.
Old 14th Oct 2010, 12:36 pm   #16
KeithsTV
Nonode

My parents house had a wall mounted fire of this type in my bedroom when we moved there in 1967, the house being all electric. I can't remember using it much and eventually it was removed and disposed of when they had gas put it.

Keith
Old 1st Dec 2010, 9:01 pm   #17
anthony lawrenc
Retired Dormant Member

i have fond memories of the wall mounted version of this fire in our council house in the earliy 60s i also remember getting two belts one off the fire when as a 9 year old i stuck one of my mums knitting needles in it causing the huge 30amp cartridge fuse to blow and the other off my dad when he came in from work
Old 1st Dec 2010, 10:01 pm   #18
McMurdo
Dekatron

Got some more more basic fires here from a 1937 wholesalers catalogue, a couple of them are mentioned as suitable for cooking on!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...belling1-1.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/belling2.jpg