UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2010, 9:29 pm   #1
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Belling electric fire.

Hi,
I've just picked up the above. I spent most of this evening cleaning it and checking it over. It fits in well beside a vintage tv.
cheers,
Des.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3099.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	38419  
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 9:13 am   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling electric fire.

I like that. Nice plain, clean lines and authentic mains plug too!
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 8:22 pm   #3
Zelandeth
Heptode

That's a nice one. I'll need to dive up in the loft this weekend and snap a photo of our one. Pretty sure it's a Belling as well.

My parents keep trying to chuck it out, and I keep rescuing it.

...No less than four occasions now in the last couple of years they've been mighty grateful for that when the central heating's gone on the blink!

Proper old open-wire heating elements on our one (which yours look to be as well), which I'm pretty sure are the originals. They make one heck of a lot of "plinking" noises while warming up/cooling down too...A noise which always causes a huge amount of nostaliga for me as this thing has been in the family far longer than my 25 years!

Seems to manage to create far more heat with even one bar on (1.5kW) than many modern heaters (either radiant or convecting) seem to...

Only real problem with it these days is trying to get hold of the three-pin fireglow bulbs it uses now that the last little independent lighting store locally has closed down...Guess it'll have to be the internet when the next one blows.
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 9:03 pm   #4
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
My fire takes a standard red bayonet bulb. I must admit I thought these might be hard to source but I noticed that Maplin sell them. I'll stock up on Saturday.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 22nd Jul 2010, 10:17 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

Quote:
three-pin fireglow bulbs
My dad aquired a huge job lot of these from a closed-down electrical wholesalers, only to be told (by me) that our fireglow fires (when I lived at home) took standard 2-pin ones.

I must dig them out.
Old 23rd Jul 2010, 7:35 am   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I like that. Nice plain, clean lines and authentic mains plug too!
They had round pin plugs on them when we used to sell them.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 9:54 pm   #7
Zelandeth
Heptode

As promised - albeit rather later than planned!

I'll try to drag it down out of the loft to be properly photographed sometime soon - this photo was taken balancing at the top of the ladder however. Since the Council re-insulated the loft it's like Russian Roulette going up there as you can't see what you're standing on.

The black paint isn't original, my parents having done that a few years back to make it fit in with the decor of the time - originally it had a dark silver "hammered" finish. I would have resisted the repainting had I been there!

As with quite a few it seems, this is shaped to fit actually inside a fireplace. Not visible here, but it seems to have its original (huge!) rubber covered mains lead, which is still in good order I'm glad to report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	39099  
Old 21st Oct 2010, 2:15 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

I have just come across this thread rather late.

Re 3 pin bulbs, we had a Magicoal fire in the 1960s which fitted into the fireplace rather than standing in front of it, similar to the one in the previous posting but with open wire wound elements. It took 3 pin bulbs which were always more expensive than the 2 pin ones and a ready source of after market income for Berry we suspected. I found that I could replace the three pin top collar part of the bulb holder with a standard two pin one from a brass bulb holder. It might be worth trying one. It is easily reversible if required.

Paul
Old 21st Oct 2010, 6:06 pm   #9
Zelandeth
Heptode

Hmm, might have to have a look at that Paul. Thanks for the heads up.

The elements on my one are in fact of the open type - just not too easy to see that in the photo.
Old 21st Oct 2010, 6:27 pm   #10
PaulR
Dekatron

Our elements were just coiled wire with no ceramic centre former or reflector.

As a matter of interest I have been looking for an open element "fire bar" type of heater but assumed they are no longer made, then I found one on Amazon. It is supposedly Swan Brand but was actually made in South Africa of all places. It has two 900w bars but gives out loads of heat with just one switched on. A blast from the past!!

Paul
Closed Thread