UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2010, 11:22 am   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Hoover Promotional 45

I came across this little gem recently. It's a Lyntone single-sided flexidisc containing the swinging brassy soundtrack to a Hoover TV commercial shown in 1961. It has a great voiceover with the tagline 'Washday? Just forget it!' The promotion was for the Hoover Keymatic washing machine. The blurb suggests the dealer plays it in his shop.

Has anyone got similar promotional records for electrical goods in their collection?

Steve J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0879.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	39075   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0880.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	39076   Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0882.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	39077  
Old 8th Aug 2010, 2:19 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hoover Promotional 45

And here is the original advertisement:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQaSpaKGY2I

I had an old Keymatic in use for years, it got scrapped when it became unreliable and flooded the kitchen regularly....

Regards, Mick.
Old 8th Aug 2010, 8:10 pm   #3
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Thats great fun
Old 8th Aug 2010, 8:40 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

Quote:
I had an old Keymatic in use for years, it got scrapped when it became unreliable and flooded the kitchen regularly....

Regards, Mick.
Blimey, no wonder the tagline was 'Washday? Just forget it!'

I would never have thought to even look for the original commercial, but that's certainly it! Annoyingly catchy isn't it? I love the program card- very hi-tech.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 8th Aug 2010 at 8:58 pm. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 14th Aug 2010, 7:43 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)

Hi,
A schoolmate of mine had a flexidisc advertising the Liberator washing machine (his dad worked for the local electricity board). It was voiced by Denis Norden (famous for his TV outtake programmes). I can't remember who made the Liberator though.
Cheers de Pete

I think it was Hotpoint.

Last edited by Tractorfan; 14th Aug 2010 at 7:46 pm. Reason: Might have remembered the maker, or not.
Old 14th Aug 2010, 9:18 pm   #6
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

The Liberator was Hotpoint.

The name was still in use by Zanussi until fairly recently. They bought out Hotpoint (formerly British Domestic Appliances) along with much of the rest of the white goods industry.
Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:07 pm   #7
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R Pateman View Post
The Liberator was Hotpoint.

The name was still in use by Zanussi until fairly recently. They bought out Hotpoint (formerly British Domestic Appliances) along with much of the rest of the white goods industry.
Hotpoint (GDA) is owned by Merloni, a different Italian firm. They did have links with Zanussi (now part of Electrolux) around the time the Liberators were about in the late '70s but they have long since been broken:
http://www.gda.uk.com/
Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:29 pm   #8
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colourstar View Post
Has anyone got similar promotional records for electrical goods in their collection?

Steve J
Hi Steve ,
Thats a great find!
I have a promo disc that was given away with Dansette record players, it is a plastic disc glued to a card backing.
It is very 1950's "BBC English", it refers to your new "Dan-sutt record plaa" and encorages you to replace the needle with a genuine "Broadcaster needle" (Dansette's own brand) "regulaarly" !
The Hoover keymatic was a fantastic washing machine, my granparents had one new and it lasted over 20 years, being passed on to my uncle eventually.
ISTR that it was also a persistant water leak(s) that wrote it off in the end.

Rich.
Old 21st Sep 2010, 7:35 am   #9
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello I too have the Hoover Keymatic Sales disc, catchy yes but you can you imagine working in the shop with that playing over and over all day, it would drive me mad

I also have a Hoover Keymatic washing machine built in 1972, that is still working (albiet with some servicing)

Also I have a Hornby Railways cassette tape from the 1980s with Noel Edmunds explaining how to put your train set together (joining the tracks, connecting up the power etc)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32frtt.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	40635  
Old 23rd Sep 2010, 9:36 pm   #10
Colourstar
Octode

Wow, that's a lovely washing machine. Looks like new!

All those coloured lights and buttons too. I'd be quite excited about washday. Does it have special program cards that slot in? I'm not sure how the Keymatic system is supposed to work. Do tell...

Steve J
Old 24th Sep 2010, 8:47 am   #11
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello Colourstar

The Hoover keymatics are my favourite machines, full mechanical enginuity designed by engineers.....
The key plates have slots in them for each program (16 in all 2 plates).
There is a card reader that is connected to a mechanical programmer, the slots select which function on the programmer will be used.
They wash really well and have weird sort of magic to them, that modern machines for me dont
Here is a video of the machine action hope you enjoy it
Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYjDconrGE
Old 26th Sep 2010, 11:31 am   #12
Colourstar
Octode

Fascinating video Gary. I never thought I'd sit and watch a video of a washing machine working! You are right, it does have a real sense of proper engineering about it.

Have you had the machine from new? What's it's history?

Steve
Old 28th Sep 2010, 9:32 pm   #13
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

In the 1970s I worked in a hospital where every ward had a Hoover washing machine for small-scale patient laundry. They had originally been Keymatics but the card readers/programmers had allegedly been unreliable. The Hoover service engineer warned me about buying a Keymatic second hand...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 29th Sep 2010, 7:20 pm   #14
sp10mk11
Octode

Hello Steve i rescued the machine about 2 years ago from a re-cycling centre, despite its age it is in very good condition, a freind gave me the keyplates

Everything is made to last or be repaired, not just on this machine but most old machines are the same.

I do like it a lot, freinds up country have keymatics aswell, two of them have the first models that came out in about 1960 and one of those works....

Phil
Oh yes the Keymatics where not without there problems, the main problem being the tiny switches inside the card reader making bad contact, but this is not a difficult problem once you understand it.

I would rather have a mechanical problem on a programmer than the total failiure of the control boards in modern machines

anyway the machine chugs on

thanks
Gary
Closed Thread