UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2018, 4:40 pm   #1
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Default Stroboscope

A long shot I know but, can anyone remember which electronics magazine of the early 70's carried the article about building a homebrew stroboscope? From memory, it used a neon discharge tube which I still have ready to build the project which I never got round to at the time. A thyristor trigger was used and that is all that I can remember. I fancy having a go at making it and can't find the magazine which has probably been thrown out long ago.
Many Thanks,
Geoff.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 5:16 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Stroboscope

Was this for disco effect, or engine timing?

John.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 5:27 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I remember a project to make a neon stroboscope using a helical neon tube (called a 'spiral neon' in the project) that I think came from Service Trading in Chiswick. It was connected to a car ignition coil. I can't remember the rest of the circuit.

I think it was in an issue of Practical Electronics in the late 1970s and was on the cover. I can go through my paper magazines if you can't find it and it sounds useful.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 5:32 pm   #4
Kala_12
Hexode

Hi Geoff,
Are you thinking of the "Party Strobe Light" in Practical Electronics (December 1973)? If that is it, I could scan the circuit or the whole article and email it to you.
Stuart.
Old 22nd Dec 2018, 5:54 pm   #5
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Geoff, is this the one Feb 1978. ~42 https://www.americanradiohistory.com...PW-1978-02.pdf

No need its here. https://www.americanradiohistory.com...cs-1973-12.pdf
~32

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 22nd Dec 2018 at 6:09 pm. Reason: Aded PDF page number
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 1:00 am   #6
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Thanks for the suggestions but it is none of the suggested ones. I found the gas discharge tube, it is Ferranti NSP2. The americanradiohistory website looks amazing, I will set to and hunt through the possible magazines tomorrow, thanks for that reference. I'll let you know if I am successful.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 8:34 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Pretty sure there was an article such as you refer to in Elektor, but more likely ETI, will have a look.

Andy.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 11:38 am   #8
Murphy Maniac
Hexode

Found it!
It was in June 1969 Practical Electronics. Thanks John for the americanradio history reference, that will keep me fully occupied over the holiday period whilst I recover from the inevitable over-indulgence.
Thank you all for your help and Very Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year.
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 12:31 pm   #9
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Yes the American history site is great, It has magazines from the beginnings of radio, and not only radio focused.

John
Closed Thread