UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2006, 7:24 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Loose valve bases

Back in the mists of time when I had a Marconi comms receiver a number of the valves were loose on their (octal) bases.
At the time I used model aeroplane cement.
Is this of a different make to that of Superglue.
Araldite goes soft with heat, but there are various sorts.
What is the safest option to secure a valve that is loose on its base?
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 7:35 pm   #2
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Loose valve bases

Hi Neil, I think the general opinion here is that two part epoxy type adhesives are best for this job, I tend to use the quick setting variety and have had no problems. Superglue is definately not reccommended! see here :-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...read.php?t=400

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 7:36 pm   #3
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Hi Neil,

For anything that is NOT a power bottle (output, or rectifier valve) superglue is ok, but in moderation - a few spots around the base, just to hold it.

for everything else, evostik - the smelly one is very good, not the wood glue.....

Cheers
Sean
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 11:18 pm   #4
joe
Rest in Peace

Hi Neil

I read somewhere, possibly on this forum, that you can use acetone dripped down between the base & the glass. The idea is that it dissolves what is left of the original glue, then evaporates leaving the original glue holding the base on.
I've never tried it but its worth a go. Use pure acetone, not nail varnish remover as that often contains oils & skin treatment stuff.

Joe
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 12:13 am   #5
Tim
Dekatron

I always use Araldite for this.
Mix up a small quantity and use a match stick or end of a cable tie to "grout" between the glass and base.
It seems to stand the heat OK, although I would recommend the stuff which takes 24 hours to harden as this seems to be the most heat resistant.
I have seen Araldite used to mend aluminium castings on motorbike engines and car radiators.
Good luck with whatever you use, and that's a few more valves rescued!
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 8:39 am   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Oh, another idea, as used by the MOD - Adhesive lined heatshrink - great stuff, and an almost permanent repair!

Cheers
Sean
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 12:33 pm   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Neil, do you mean the plastic type of model aircraft kit glue? This is polystyrene cement and actually works by "melting" the moulded plastic parts together. In my experience it isn't much use on other materials.

Biggles.
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 3:32 pm   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

Well, it was a very long time ago, about 1984-5. I had a tube of this stuff around and I remember it was for glueing plastic. I used to use it to glue the plastic adapters into the centres of 45 rpm singles. It stabalised all the valves but they weren't rectifiers or audio output types, mixer and IF strip at a guess. Audio o/p was a 6V6GT.

I have some Araldite but it is the 'rapid' sort. I tried it to effect a bodge on some damaged threads on a Enfield motorcycle I owned eight years ago. Under heat it softened to a chewing gum consistency. A bit wasteful buying a whole tube to do one single valve, but how does one recognise the 'good' Araldite?
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 8:32 pm   #9
Tim
Dekatron

Have used heatshrink too, it works well.
The rapid stuff is no good for more "demanding" applications(such as engines!!!).
The 24 hour stuff is the best. I think the variants come in different coloured packets.

There have to be more uses than just one valve?
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 8:41 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling
how does one recognise the 'good' Araldite?
I think they call it Araldite Precision now
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 8:43 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
Oh, another idea, as used by the MOD - Adhesive lined heatshrink - great stuff, and an almost permanent repair!

Cheers
Sean
How big can you get it? Presumably you'd need a couple of inches unshrunk diameter for this application. And presumably there's minimal risk to the valve's envelope from the heat used to shrink it?

Nick.
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 9:06 pm   #12
Tim
Dekatron

Quite right Nick. I only have blue in that size!
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 9:14 pm   #13
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I have seen it at Radio Rallies up to 6" diameter, and you only need hair drier heat to shrink it down, so, not too risky..... I wouldnt try it on immensley rare output bottles though - just in case
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 9:19 pm   #14
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

From what I know Araldite is not suitable for fixing glass envelopes to valve bases. A common way to soften hardened Araldite is to heat it to around 120ºC. At higher temperatures it no longer solidifies when cooled down again, but starts to break down chemically. By then it looks really ugly as the adhesive starts to foam up.

The highest operating temperature I found was 85ºC (type 2014), which is of course way too low for valve repairs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Frank N.
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 10:50 pm   #15
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

I've seen the heat shrink on a couple of Zaerix valves. I didn't realise it was a MOD thing, it looked like a Zaerix special.

I've used PVC tape to fix loose envelopes to the base of octals and I've had no problems. I've also got a rectifier which has been lashed up with masking tape and a few valves with old fashioned black tape. Taped up octals have never caused me any problems. You don't want the envelope loose, but on the other hand, if you can possibly help it, you don't want to extract a valve by pulling the envelope.

I've used Araldite to re-attach top caps and that's always worked.

I can see that the tape wouldn't do for valves prominently on display in an audio amplifier.

Pete.
Old 10th Apr 2006, 9:22 am   #16
Sideband
Dekatron

I've used Evostick for years with no problem. You can apply it with a matchstick and just leave the valve for twelve hours or so. While it is still in liquid form you can wipe away any excess and the end result is a really neat repair.

Rich.
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 3:42 pm   #17
Radio_Dave
Nonode

I normally use Araldite, but I needed an invisible repair for my, glass backed, RAP 646.

I took the idea in post #4 (using acetone to reactivate the adhesive) one step further and used clear nail varnish, heavily painted around the joins. When dry I cleaned the surplus with nail varnish remover (what else! )

The radio has been on for 1 hour, cooled down and the bases are still stuck solid... Oh, it stuck the top cap connectors too

David
Old 22nd Jun 2007, 7:48 pm   #18
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post

Cheers
Sean
Sean beat me to it. I had several old B7 based valves from MOD
stores that had been repaired using this method. Excellent repair job.

Ian
Old 26th Jun 2007, 4:04 pm   #19
Pete_kaye
Octode

While on this topic;how do I save a couple of valves with broken Top connections?Both have lost the wire that protrudes through the glass?They are 6k7 and 6A8G types from 1949 IMMSMW.They were working fine until tops fell off.
Old 26th Jun 2007, 5:33 pm   #20
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye View Post
While on this topic;how do I save a couple of valves with broken Top connections?Both have lost the wire that protrudes through the glass?They are 6k7 and 6A8G types from 1949 IMMSMW.They were working fine until tops fell off.
If there is no exposed wire emerging from the glass, you have a bit of a problem. It's sometimes possible to expose a bit of wire by grinding down the glass around it with a Dremel, but you need to be very careful, and the glass dust is nasty stuff too. If you can expose a mm or so you may be able to solder a wire to it.

I suppose there's nothing to lose, but I wouldn't bother for relatively common valves like these.

Paul
Closed Thread