UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2012, 10:45 pm   #61
juce1965
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Calling Hacker Hunter owners!

Hello, I'd like to register my Hacker Hunter:

Hacker Hunter RP38A VHF, serial no.53206.

Black/white scale, one piece aluminium handle. Grille is extruded type, black with teak sides.

DC output socket. Gold Elac speaker with silver alloy controls.

Many thanks,

Julian
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 12:24 am   #62
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Julian,

Many thanks for these details - I'm pleased to say that every detail stacks up, and the set has been added to my timeline and the database.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 22nd Sep 2012, 8:47 pm   #63
westcliff
Hexode

Mark,

I recently got another RP38A, so here are the details:

Serial number 83370
White printing on the dial glass
"Hacker Hunter fm-am" above the tuning knob
Gold-coloured metal speaker frame (no manufacturer's logo), stamped with "58HE/146" and "15 (ohm sign)".
Extruded grille
Three piece handle.
Silver control knobs
DC input socket

Gus.

Last edited by westcliff; 22nd Sep 2012 at 8:49 pm. Reason: Addded knob and socket information
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 11:39 am   #64
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Gus,

Glad to hear that you've given a home to another one of these. It's impossible to own just one or two Hackers

Could I ask you to double-check the serial number. It's very easy to mis-read them - I've done it myself. The highest serial number I have on record is 69730. Taking all the details you've given, I reckon it should be in the range of 57177 to 63901. Is it possible that the first digit is a 6 rather than an 8?

All the best,

Mark
Old 24th Sep 2012, 5:53 pm   #65
westcliff
Hexode

Hi Mark,

I had another look at my new Hunter and the number is 63370. Sorry.

It is impossible to own only one or two, I got two more Hackers at Harpenden. Didn't mean to, it just sort of happened.

Gus.

Gus.
Old 28th Sep 2012, 7:54 pm   #66
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Gus,

Thanks for that, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Much appreciated, and added to the document and database. Happily, all details seem correct to me.

Feel free to PM me the details of your other Hacker sets for the database, at your leisure...

All the best,

Mark
Old 20th Oct 2012, 7:39 pm   #67
JohnWReynolds
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark

I have received a rather nice Hunter (RP38) -
Serial Number: 10697
White (on black) dial print with 'Hunter VHF' logo
Grey-painted Elac speaker
Aluminium sheet (with name pressed in bottom right)
Silver tone knob
No DC input
Black with teak sides.

I was not disappointed with the sound - wonderful!
Old 21st Oct 2012, 6:24 pm   #68
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi John,

Many thanks for that. Your set is the earliest I have on record with an Elac loudspeaker.

I'm guessing that your handle has the faux wood insert?

Glad you're enjoying it - they are rather nice, aren't they? The Elac loudspeaker is especially good.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 21st Oct 2012, 7:18 pm   #69
JohnWReynolds
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mark

I forget to mention the handle - you're absolutely right, single piece with the faux wood insert. It looks like a little bit has been cut off the end of each (an equal amount on each side), I'm guessing it was done to neaten the ends, unless there was something at each end that has been removed?

Thanks

John
Old 21st Oct 2012, 10:27 pm   #70
mhennessy
Dekatron

Thanks for confirming that

From what you say, it sounds original. There isn't a set of covers for the handle ends, unlike some of the other sets. There should be round caps for the screws that secure the handle, but that's it.

Mark
Old 12th Nov 2012, 10:18 am   #71
Jonster
Heptode

Here's the info on my newly acquired Hunter:

- Model designation RP38A, "VHF Hunter"
- Serial number 14972
- Handle type single piece
- Grille type sheet aluminium
- Scale print with some green)
- DC input socket not fitted
- Loudspeaker has a grey painted frame with a gold coloured magnet
- Tone control knob style Silver fluted with thin black skirt
- Wavechange buttons are silver with a black outer.

I used to own a black RP38 Hunter VHF with the single tone control (sorry I don't remember the serial number). The RP38A sounds much nicer in my opinion. Interestingly, on both sets the tuning scale moves in the opposite direction to what I would expect when moving the knob. Have they both been threaded up wrong or is this normal?

Jon
Old 12th Nov 2012, 8:58 pm   #72
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for these details. Everything looks pretty correct for that serial number - I'm guessing the Hacker logo is part of the grille? Also, are the sides black or teak - it could be either at that age.

Regarding the sound quality differences, most RP38 sets had the Goodmans loudspeaker, and the Elac is a substantial upgrade on this. And the amplifier has the ability to boost the bass and treble more than the RP38 amp did. All in all, a decent upgrade.

Finally, your stringing is correct. The tuning knob sits on the tuning capacitor, driving it directly, and clockwise to increase the frequency is how they are. But as Hacker wanted the tuning scale to be the other way (clockwise to increase wavelength), perhaps to match their other sets at the time, the pointer moves left as the knob is turned clockwise. Strange but true

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 12th Nov 2012, 9:00 pm   #73
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Jon,

Scrub the question about the case - I've just read that it's all-black on the other post you made (thanks once again).

Cheers,

Mark
Old 13th Nov 2012, 11:49 pm   #74
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Mark,
Here are the details of my Hacker Hunter:
The model number is RP38A. Serial number 62501.
Three piece handle. The grill is extruded aluminium, black/silver.
Scale print is white. Has 18V DC input socket.
The tone controls are silver with a black skirt.
Cabinet colour is black.
By appointment to HM the Queen.
Judging by the date codes on the BF195 VHF tuner transistors which is G501 I'd guess this set is a very late production model. Say 1975.
The loudspeaker has a gold coloured frame. No manufactures name.

DFWB.
Old 14th Nov 2012, 12:53 pm   #75
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi David,

Many thanks for these details - everything fits in nicely with my data so far. Yours is indeed pretty late - the only change that happened after your set was a change in tone control knobs, which came in at around 65,000. The last set I know about is 69730. I reckon you're right about 1975 - but I'm not sure how one would decode the data code of G501 - any info welcome.

Having seen the pictures on the other thread, the loudspeaker is definitely the Elac. The sticker - which is normally placed on the side of the magnet, near the terminals - often falls off.

Hope you enjoy it. Meanwhile, here's an updated copy of the data - as you can see, we have a decent data set now; some 80 sets now

Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hacker Hunter Development.pdf (75.3 KB, 281 views)
Old 18th Nov 2012, 5:07 pm   #76
keith-g
Retired Dormant Member

My father has a Hunter radio and he has sent me the details to post here on his behalf as follows:-

Model Designation: RP38A
Serial No: 36984
Purchase Date: 23.12.72
Handle: Single piece aluminium
Grille: Sheet aluminium
Scale Print: White and Green
DC Input: Power Unit Model VP408
Tone Control Knob Style: Both Treble and Bass are silver

He also has the following additional information which I can scan and post up if of interest:-
  • Early 1972 Hacker Brochure detailing the complete range and prices of their portable radios
  • Separate Price List, dated 14.02.72, for Hacker's full range of products, including radios, record players and hi-fi equipment
  • Letter from Hacker, dated 06.03.72, confirming inclusion of socket for VP408 Power Unit 'within the next three weeks'
  • Leaflet on the VP408 Power Unit for use with the RP38A
  • Operating Instructions for the RP38A set and the VP408 Power Unit
  • Purchase Invoice for the set and power unit dated 23.12.72
Old 18th Nov 2012, 6:50 pm   #77
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for these details, which are very interesting indeed. Happily, the set fits into the timeline perfectly, which I take as useful confirmation of the data so far. The purchase date is very interesting, and points nicely towards the extruded grille appearing in mid-1973. It seems like it was a last-minute Christmas for your father

Regarding the kind offer to scan material, it's possible that we might already have the brochure on the Hacker Radio Yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hackerradiogroup). Does the brochure have a photograph on the front page with 7 Hacker sets against an orange/yellow background?

I'm not sure we have a 1972 price list, so that would be very interesting!

Likewise, while we have some letters from Hacker, I don't think we have the one you mention. This is very interesting, because it accurately marks the inclusion of the DC socket in chronological terms.

Regarding the VP408, we do have scans of the instruction manual and a brochure, but these don't mention the RP38A specifically, so that sounds very intriguing.

We have a scan of the RP38A instructions from later models (with the Royal Warrant), but we don't have any for the previous model, so that would be much-appreciated.

Finally, the invoice would also be interesting, but this would be less of a priority, as you've already passed on the key information. By all means do it at the same time if you like.

When scanning, could use at least 150dpi, and save the files as a TIFF or PNG? If you could email them directly to me, I'll make any necessary tweaks - I'm keen to make things simple for you

Thanks again for the information and the offer - it all helps!

Cheers,

Mark
Old 20th Nov 2012, 3:00 pm   #78
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hi Mark,

I picked up my very first Hunter a couple of weeks ago. It was offered to me for a tenner, which seemed just about reasonable seeing as it has considerable damage from battery leakage and had been stored in a damp shed for years. I haven't tried it yet.

- Model designation: RP38A, "Hunter VHF",
- Serial number: 49509,
- Handle type: single piece,
- Grille type: extruded aluminium,
- Scale print: all white,
- DC input socket present - yes,
- Loudspeaker type and finish: "gold" Elac (though mine's not so gold anymore!),
- Tone control knob style: silver fluted with black skirts

Hope that helps,

Nick.
Old 20th Nov 2012, 5:37 pm   #79
mhennessy
Dekatron

Hi Nick,

Many thanks for these details - yours is the earliest model I know about with an extruded grille, narrowing this change down by around 300. Excellent!

Good luck with the restoration! Once it's dried out I think you'll be surprised how well it comes up. The sides can be stripped and oiled, and the battery leakage should clean up well. Careful with the loudspeaker - when you rub it down, small bits of steel might find their way into the gap (sorry if that's stating the obvious )

All the best,

Mark
Old 20th Nov 2012, 5:44 pm   #80
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

I know one has to be careful with metallic debris and 'speaker gaps, but these things are worth repeating!

I hope the print side of the AF amp PCB hasn't been attacked; I haven't dared look yet.

Nick.
Closed Thread