UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Oct 2010, 7:13 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default todays Harpenden meeting feedback

Hello there,
I went to Harpenden today. This is the second time I have visited this meeting. I found the event very good. I did not buy much this time. A huge signal generator, a vacuum cleaner(!) and a few valves. There was quite a lot in the auction but nothing that really caught my eye. The price of tellies seemed rather high.

The food was very good and I must congradulate the 2 girls in the canteen who made an egg and bacon roll for me Well done !! .

The bring and buy sale was good and I managed to get rid of a few things. I must congradulate Jeffery for manning the stall all day!
Christopher Capener
Old 17th Oct 2010, 7:20 pm   #2
Danny
Heptode

Default Re: todays Harpenden meeting feedback

Hi i went a bit mad today had fun though. Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pict0003.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	41552  
Old 17th Oct 2010, 7:40 pm   #3
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Ah, so it was YOU who bought that rather rustic country feeling console telly!!

All I say is good luck

p.s how much did you pay for it? What model is it?

I was half tempted but was considering what was still nesting in there!! (had a live bat in a Philips bakelite radio before! diddnt help improve my driving when it came out in the car on the way home!)

Saw a few forum memners today (I was the one wearing a rather brightly coloured shirt!)

Christopher Capener

Last edited by high_vacuum_house; 17th Oct 2010 at 7:46 pm.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 7:42 pm   #4
audiomagpie
Heptode

Is that a KB Royal Star QVP20 I see before me, Danny? I've got one on my 'round tuit' pile!

Likewise had a most enjoyable day, bought a few bits & pieces and some cheap boxes of junk from the auction which will be interesting to sort through.

Always nice to catch up with a few of the forum members.

Another first class event! Thanks BVWS team.

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 17th Oct 2010, 8:08 pm   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
...I must congradulate Jeffery for manning the stall all day!
Please don't forget Edward and Peter who probably did most of the work on the B&B. I really couldn't do it without them.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 8:09 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Had a great day! Bought only valves and service data. Tempted to buy the Pye V14 but I have loads of sets here needing overhaul so madness to bring yet more rotted junk home. The devil was sitting on on my shoulder, he did not win this time but usually does... Had a great meet up with the 'Rat Pack' as I call them! They know who they are!
I have some interesting projects for the winter season including a 1946 15" monster HMV. More to follow including 'The Practical Television P.T. Receiver' circa 1949 complete with two stage pre amp so yet more fresh receivers would only upset them as they wonder when their time will come. A well deserved thanks to all that organized the day and yes a big thanks to the catering staff that do their very best to keep us all fed and watered. Regards, John.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 10:13 pm   #7
raditechman
Heptode

A nice day, the was shining as I arrived, and a good number of people were queuing outside. Bought a frequency changer valve I required, (for an HMV 1115) when I got I home I fitted it and works fine. As I knew that the HMV was the last radio I had at home to fix up,-it needed rewiring as old rubber had perished- I bought one sad looking wireless for £2 (complete but no back) in order to have something new to start on.
Still not found the Ferranti Nova that I hope to get one day, there was one there but not the version I want.
I bought a few other spares, had some conversations and headed off at lunch time.
The sun was still shining.

John
Old 17th Oct 2010, 10:22 pm   #8
Danny
Heptode

Hi chris i think the gec model no is BT7094 quite a rarity about 1948 and i think it is a genuine barn find. the crt has a nice black getter which is suprising for one of these.
I have restored worse. the price may well i paid the asking price of fifty quid but i recon i will get my moneys worth of fun trying to restore it. yes it is a royal star. the most fun thing is going to be the packergram portable radiogram not my usual cup of tea but couldnt resist it for a fiver off the b and b stall. Danny
Old 17th Oct 2010, 10:22 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

Glad you all had a good time. I couldn't make it as I am not allowed to drive that far on my own (Doctor's Orders) and Dilys and her daughter went to the Ballet. (Two ladies going to the ballet, etc...).

Will be going to Gnosall next week and to the do in Golborne. See you there,

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 10:34 pm   #10
brianc
Rest in Peace

I think the "rustic console" which Danny bought is a GEC BT7094, the tall version of the BT7092. A super set with brute-force EHT so time to be careful.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 10:53 pm   #11
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
One of the valves I bought there was in the 10p box at the back of the room and turns out to be a mercury vapour thyratron (you can see the droplets onside the bulb)

I found the pin out and technical data of it online and have spent much of the evening playing with it with power supplies and large resistors making it glow purple and trying to see if I can get the control side working. Suprising how much fun you can get out of 10p

Christopher Capener
Old 17th Oct 2010, 11:00 pm   #12
techiesteve
Pentode

Today was my first visit to the Harpenden event. I was very restrained and only came away with one item, an interesting black cased amateur band transmitter with two 807's in the PA. Later I regretted not buying a few other items I looked at. I had a great time and will be at the next event.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 12:56 am   #13
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi,
First of all thanks to the organisers. I had a great day. With many Harpenden visits under belt this was the first one where I was a stall holder. I managed to sell nearly everything I bought, something I needed to do to make some space. It was nice to meet quite a few forum members.
Cheers,
Des.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 1:58 am   #14
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

It sounds like I should get myself to this meeting some day. A chance to meet more forumers, plenty of interesting bits and bobs to peruse and bacon and egg rolls?

Memo to self: Fix car.

Two potential problems; one is that it's an estate, the other is that I'd probably fill it...
Old 18th Oct 2010, 9:03 am   #15
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I had a great day too, It was a kind of shame for the sellers of the auction lots but good for us buyers as the prices didn't really climb all that high, I practically filled the back of my estate car and only spent a total of £22!

A big thanks to all who were/are involved and a big pat on the back for the catering team who made me a nice plate of sausage, chips and beans!

Cheers
Old 18th Oct 2010, 9:43 am   #16
Tazman1966
Nonode

A good day had by me too and got a mint Bush VTR103, a great "Vantenna" set top aerial and a good few other bits and bobs including a nice old AVO LCR bridge which I'm looking forward to playing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunts smoothing bomb
...a nice plate of sausage, chips and beans!...
Don't forget the Hammonds Burger Sauce - yum!
Old 18th Oct 2010, 10:06 am   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think that GEC is a BT3893 or similar. Very unusual set maybe a little earlier, I would say 1947. Great find and it looked mice inside, sorry nice.. To be honest it will clean up a treat with very little rust on the chassis. Good luck with it. J.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 10:11 am   #18
Mikey405
Octode

I had an excellent time too. It was great meeting my old forum pals and I bought a box of Rank Bush Murphy "Colour TV Lecture" records and slides from Des.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 11:31 am   #19
beamcurrent
Heptode

Yes an excellent day, much good conversation and lots of things to resist buying and lots of things to give in and buy. Particularly pleased with the Marconi Instruments TF2210 scope I bought, I have a soft spot for Marconi.

Lots of boxes of misc items from the auction too.

Brian

www.tvcameramuseum.org
Old 18th Oct 2010, 1:02 pm   #20
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Smile Re: todays Harpenden meeting feedback

Indeed an excellent day.
I've been rather poorly of late and this was just what I needed to get out of the house and blow the cobwebs away.
I bought another superb Television Lamp, a dead RF sig gen, a couple of boxes of erm... and yes, I was the one who bought the Strobe Lamp. Why ?
I dunno lol.
Excellent to see Des, Tas, Mikey, John, Lee, Jeffrey and all the other forum members as well.
Roll on the next one

Regards

Dr. Dave