UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2007, 7:11 pm   #1
maitiustandun
Pentode

Default mystery philips

hi i have this philips which i think was brought back from harpo or leamington, not sure , the black and silver plate is missing off the chasis rear, and i would like to know the model , some of the valves are british made and some made in holland ?.only clue i have is a number stamped on the backboard a325150 ,line up is el41 ,ez40, ebc41, ebc41, ech42,will attempt to post pics presently best regards maitiu.
Old 6th Jul 2007, 7:50 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: mystery philips

Maitiu there is something wrong with that valve lineup!! Looks like someone has plugged an extra EBC41 in, in place of the IF amp. Running back from the rectifier I think it should be EZ41, EL41, EBC41, EF41, ECH42.

That is a standard valve line-up used on any number and makes of sets circa 1949 onwards. It would be better if you could upload a picture of it. Can't really tell anything from just the valve line-up.

Rich.
Old 6th Jul 2007, 8:23 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Yep, all (?) British made Philips transformer sets had that lineup in the early 50s. I think there are only 2 basic chassis used - one has the rectifier valve mounted horizontally on the side of the transformer, and the other has the rectifier on the chassis in the conventional manner. Either chassis can come with or without a magic eye.

If you post a photo of the chassis we'll be able to tell you which of the 2 possibilities it is

It's normal to have a mixture of British and Dutch valves in Philips sets, since they owned Mullard. British and Dutch plants made valves badged as both Mullard and Philips.

Paul
Old 6th Jul 2007, 10:51 pm   #4
maitiustandun
Pentode

thanks for that guys, richard u may verywell be and probibly are correct about the valve, it was a calculated guess on my part as the markings are wiped off , only thing remaining is a triangle with fac over it , [printed.] and paul this model is the one with the conventional rectifier valve on the chasis ,my pics are stored using picasa2 , and im having difficulty posting them onto the forum , but will keep trying , thanks chaps for your interest, maitiu.

Last edited by maitiustandun; 6th Jul 2007 at 10:55 pm. Reason: i have richards name wrong
Old 8th Jul 2007, 3:30 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello,

As Matt is having problems uploading pics, I've been volunteered to load them. Here's the mystery Philips radio.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1033.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	10777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1039[1].JPG
Views:	163
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	10778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1034[1].JPG
Views:	138
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	10779  
Old 9th Jul 2007, 7:46 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Umm? Dont recognise that one! Someone else might and I'll have a look on some of the Philips sites. With that valve line-up it's probably a UK model so hopefully it can be tracked down.

At least we know it's somewhere around late 40's to early 50's.

Rich.
Old 10th Jul 2007, 12:15 pm   #7
maitiustandun
Pentode

latest information on this philips,

a friend gifted it to me , on contacting him he says he was offered it from a radio shop now closed down ,this chap collects juke boxes, so i ended up with it . im now of the opinion that its a varient of the bx 300-400 a series made at philips plant in clonskeagh dublin , thanks to everybody for the help on this , best regards maitiu./
Old 10th Jul 2007, 1:12 pm   #8
paulsherwin

Hi Matt, that looks like a bog standard Philips chassis from the early 50s. It looks very similar to the chassis in my 514A. I'm attaching the circuit for that scanned from Radio & TV Servicing (this scan isn't available from Paul Stenning).

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PhilipsUK_414A_p3.pdf (13.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: pdf PhilipsUK_414A_p5.pdf (55.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 10th Jul 2007, 9:07 pm   #9
maitiustandun
Pentode

hi paul , latest update, talking to ivrss member on phone today , this chap worked on the trade counter in philips ireland ltd, he has the set as a bif 503a, but this ref might only be known here and not in the uk , or neitherlands or the continent generally , regards maitiu.
Old 10th Jul 2007, 9:38 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitiustandun View Post
bif 503a
'IF' is the country code - 'Irish Freestate'. British ones have 'G'.

The Philips Irish models are quite distinct, and not just versions of British models with a different tuning scale.

Paul
Closed Thread