UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2018, 6:18 am   #1
mr.fomt
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR turn table question.

I have cleaned a BSR turntable, all with metal parts in it. Under the plattern on the spindle, just on top of spindle bearing, there was some black melted mess. Just like melted rubber, like in cassette decks when the rubber bands melted. Just wonder where it came from. Should it be a rubber seal there? It's a metal washer now, under that a bearing, then another metal washer, and under that a rubber washer, that rubber washer is fine. Should it be another rubber washer on top of the first metal washer? Where the plattern goes? Hope you understand what I mean, or else I can take a picture when I come home.
Old 8th Nov 2018, 11:13 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: BSR turn table question.

Some BSR Auto-changer turntables did have a rubber washer on top of the metal washer, which itself fits on top of the ball race, below which is another metal and rubber washer, so it is likely that the black sticky mess you found is the remains of the top rubber washer.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:16 am   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: BSR turn table question.

A picture would help but chances are it will be OK if you just clean up the mess and re-assemble. The washer/ball race/washer arrangement is pretty common in these old TTs. Is it an autochanger? I wonder, from your description if it is a single player with the rubber washer contributing something to rumble suppression? Someone will know, however, if the rubber washer is significant.