UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2020, 3:38 pm   #1
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Roberts R500 battery eliminator?

Just wondering guy's if anyone has attempted a battery eliminator for an R500.

This model takes 2xPP9's, 3 wires leaving batteries to radio, red wire is 18/19v, yellow 9v, black (-).

I have found a surplus HP laptop charger, 19vdc, so the 18/19vdc is covered and can reduce to 9vdc. have vintage battery snaps so no alterations to be done.

Just not keen on how I get the cable into the set without drilling a hole

Replaced the AF117's inside the module with CCCP GT322b's, lifted a couple of pads but resolved ok.

Just need to replace the AF115, has a leg cut, so probably had a whiskers issue.

It's a cracking set for less than £20, very clean, brass aerial polished nicely, red case buffed with cherry blossom. Need to spray the Roberts badge, handle ok some loose stitching. Grilles ok, washed in soapy water. Turntable oiled.

Thanks.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 5:17 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R500 battery eliminator?

Not attempted one, but would say the set has a slightly unusual PSU arrangement- 18V is only used for the audio stages, the front end is fed from the 9V midpoint. I would expect that it would work OK if the 9V "tap" from the laptop PSU is derived from a simple zener diode shunt regulator with about 10mA "no load" current into a BZX79-C9V1 or similar.

You could try using something like a three way 30AWG ribbon cable to get the power into the set without needing to drill any holes- it should be fine for the few 10s of milliamps intermittent load.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Nov 2020, 5:53 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

I think this is the first transistor Roberts with shortwave. Whilst I agree with the above,
this is probably a switch mode power supply and might cause some interference to
reception. Worth trying to see if this is a major problem.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 7:31 pm   #4

Quote:
Foil conductors?

Old 15th Nov 2020, 7:49 pm   #5
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Not attempted one, but would say the set has a slightly unusual PSU arrangement- 18V is only used for the audio stages, the front end is fed from the 9V midpoint. I would expect that it would work OK if the 9V "tap" from the laptop PSU is derived from a simple zener diode shunt regulator with about 10mA "no load" current into a BZX79-C9V1 or similar.

You could try using something like a three way 30AWG ribbon cable to get the power into the set without needing to drill any holes- it should be fine for the few 10s of milliamps intermittent load.
Thanks Herald1360, great info, something for me to investigate

Cheers for taking the time.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 7:53 pm   #6
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
I think this is the first transistor Roberts with shortwave. Whilst I agree with the above,
this is probably a switch mode power supply and might cause some interference to
reception. Worth trying to see if this is a major problem.
Hi Restoration73, was planning on having the PSU external to the set, with just the wiring entering, have ferrite cores that I can use, would this help with interference?

Cheers
Old 15th Nov 2020, 7:57 pm   #7
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
Foil conductors?
Thanks Merlinmaxwell, forgive my ignorance, can you expand on what you mean by foil conductors, please.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 8:05 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Only way to check if it is interference free is to build and try it, certainly ferrite cores in input and output of the supply will help. Keeping the supply well away from the radio will also help.
If you can find a linear supply it would be a better option. Have you thought about rechargeable batteries? Two packs in place of the PP9’s. Using AA batteries should last a while between charges.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 8:17 pm   #9
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Only way to check if it is interference free is to build and try it, certainly ferrite cores in input and output of the supply will help. Keeping the supply well away from the radio will also help.
If you can find a linear supply it would be a better option. Have you thought about rechargeable batteries? Two packs in place of the PP9’s. Using AA batteries should last a while between charges.
Thanks Frank, good call re the rechargeable batteries, a dozen AA's, 2 packs of 6 would work. I think the volts are a wee bit less per cell, but should be ok. Just would prefer a wired solution as I have a tendency to leave sets on..
Old 15th Nov 2020, 8:38 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

The cure for that is to add a resistor to the earthy end of the volume control so that there is always a low level audio reminder.
Old 15th Nov 2020, 9:14 pm   #11
Scotorvm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
The cure for that is to add a resistor to the earthy end of the volume control so that there is always a low level audio reminder.
Cheers Bill, that's a great tip, thank you
Closed Thread