UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:35 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default The Repair Shop. BBC TV programme.

Hi Folks, did anyone catch the repair shop tonight and the Ferranti "jelly mold"
I thought he started off with a battery set ( wooden cabinet divider) and then fitted a mains chassis.
It was originally missing its tuning indicator that seemed to have suddenly appeared in the last shot

Oh, and it was a 3 sec warm up time

Ed
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:40 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Repair shop

LOL. The magic of TV editing.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:41 pm   #3
joebog1
Banned

New turbocharged heaters Ed.

Joe
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:44 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes I saw it. I think it was a mains set from the start. When he initially applied power (after changing caps) it apparently started OK then ended in disaster. Several major components failed and he said he would need to find a donor set to complete repairs. Miraculously an 'almost identical' chassis appeared to which he replied, 'Now I have to fix this one instead of the original......'! He swapped the chassis as he then said,'This one is almost identical and will fit the cabinet...' So the guy didn't get his original set......

Yes I noticed the 3 second 'warm-up'....I think that must have been edited for the benefit of viewers (the majority of whom would expect the radio to come on straight away.....)
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:52 pm   #5
kevinaston1
Hexode

Hmm. The last on I saw was a non-working record deck; the usual grease turned to glue.

However, we have been doing it wrong by cleaning of the solidified grease and replacing it. We were show that all is needed is an application of oil to loosen the solidified grease, and all is well.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 10:54 pm   #6
joebog1
Banned

The show was on TV here for a while but I dont think received very good comments.
I did watch a few shows and found not much interest. The girls that do teddy bears appeared to be best.
I practice a little wood butchery myself and was horrified at polyester or two packs replacing french polish.

I gave up watching.

Joe
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:46 pm   #7
wireman
Heptode

At home we recently had a delivery of wood wool for stuffing a part-made toy so the programme has had some impact.

I don't mind it, although there are some howlers, in one programme the narrator was explaining how low grit sandpaper gave the finest finish.

Last edited by wireman; 20th Jan 2022 at 12:02 am.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:55 pm   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It's a TV programme. I have watched a few of these including that horrendous so called repair of the 1947 GEC radiogram and to be honest I'm not very impressed. It's a TV programme.
I'm not complaining. It's what you would expect. They didn't phone the museum for advice. It's a TV programme. John.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:56 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
I thought he started off with a battery set ( wooden cabinet divider) and then fitted a mains chassis.

Ed
I thought in the early bit it looked like there was a battery hanging off a wire.

David
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:56 pm   #10
joebog1
Banned

40 grad does especially well!!
As long as you are sanding hardwood railway sleepers that have been recovered.

Joe
tongue in cheek
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:57 pm   #11
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

He also said the bakelite contained asbestos - is this likely?

Andy
Old 20th Jan 2022, 12:09 am   #12
Max Power
Tetrode

I saw this too, purely by chance.

So he started repairing the original chassis; then, after an interstage transformer 'blew-up' he found a new chassis, which looked like it had already been repaired when he got it

And when he presented the finished radio to its owner, the knobs were different.

All very bizarre.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 12:50 am   #13
Radio Scotland
Heptode

Wonder how much he was charged for the repair ? Probably way too much
Old 20th Jan 2022, 1:29 am   #14
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Dunno about likely, but it is at least possible. Powdered asbestos was sometimes used as a filler material for Bakelite.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 8:34 am   #15
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Threads on this forum are usually critical of the Repair Shop. And that usually relates to electronics and electrical restoration.

However, taken in the round - soft toys, mechanical mechanisms, leather goods, woodwork - and the effect that restoration of these has on the people who bring these in - I really enjoy the show. It can be a really emotional show.

Think a little about the qualities needed of the restorers. They are working under the spotlight of a production crew - lights, sound, cameras - maybe 5-10 people there to do with the show. So the restorers have to work in these very strange circumstances under the spotlight. Would you, restoring a radio, like to work that way? Would you think logically and calmly with a camera and microphone poking in your face under a battery of lights

Then there has to be ruthless editing. If a restoration takes ten hours, and the end segment is five minutes all you see is a snapshot of the process, so what you see might not truly represent what has gone on.

And they need to have empathy. They have to like people. Many restorers are solitary introverted people. That is not the case in the Repair Shop.

Are the restorers paid? Sure they are, by the production company - and rightly so.

So why are we so keen to criticise?

Craig
Old 20th Jan 2022, 9:02 am   #16
John10b
Nonode

I agree with you Craig I also enjoy the show, yes I notice the short comings but it’s “a tv show”.
John
Old 20th Jan 2022, 9:55 am   #17
Sideband
Dekatron

Oh yes I usually enjoy the show. In general I think they do a great job with some quirky items. Of course we only see the good bits as well. I wonder how much stuff is actually restored compared to what is actually brought in?

I like the clock restorations and just wish I had a quarter of the equipment that Steve has...

Of course for the show, most of the items brought in have to have a 'story' behind them.

One thing I've always wondered about......who pays for the restorations?
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:01 am   #18
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
Dunno about likely, but it is at least possible. Powdered asbestos was sometimes used as a filler material for Bakelite.
Apparently it was used but later other fillers were used when many countries banned asbestos.

At least the asbestos...if there is any within old bakelite...is stable and unlikely to be a problem.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:02 am   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

I also love the show, it's about real people and their connection with items from their past. Yes, that's what it is, not an out and out 'how to fix it' programme. Saying that, the repairers are very capable and there's never a programme that I don't learn something from. Maybe the vintage radio fraternity would prefer to see an involved, blow by blow, exactly as it happened portrayal of restorations. For obvious reasons; time, complications, over-technical etc, that's not a suitable format for a family TV show. I see the faux pas and the hoodwinks just like we all do, and I have a little chortle to myself. Doesn't stop me enjoying it, and I'm always extra pleased to see someone carrying a vintage wireless set up that driveway. There is an interest and a vista out there that falls outside the eyes and minds of a vintage audio enthusiast.
Old 20th Jan 2022, 10:18 am   #20
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I await the pleasure of seeing it, as I "time shifted" it.