UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2022, 3:28 pm   #1
johnshep
Diode

Default Sobell Sobellette

Our local museum is downsizing and has a Sobell Sobellette model 439 that it wishes remove from its collection. I have not inspected it yet but from photographs it looks to be in good original condition with only minor wear to its cream finish.
Assuming the chassis is in good or original condition, could any one give me an idea if it is a run of the mill model or if for some reason, such as it resembling a toaster, is a sought after model that fetches a premium price.
I am not looking for a valuation, just want to make sure it is disposed of correctly.

Thanks
John S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sobell.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	249938  
Old 18th Jan 2022, 4:07 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Sobell Sobellette

Nothing special as far as I'm aware. I think it's a reflex superhet.....it uses the IF amplifier as an IF and reflex AF amplifier. Probably used more as a second set rather than a main radio so technically nothing special and something of a compromise. As regards heat, probably gets quite hot and may resemble a toaster in that respect.

Personally I think they are ugly sets and wouldn't want one but some people find them quirky and attractive. Quite a few appear on eBay so that is probably the best place to look for typical prices. You could offer it on the Forum in the appropriate section but you will need to state the exact price you want.
Old 18th Jan 2022, 4:13 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Some information on the radio with release date and price.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96871340-2D03-4C46-BF25-394D4737A046.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	249941  
Old 18th Jan 2022, 4:33 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Not especially scarce or especially popular now or then - I think I've seen surplus stock offered for sale in the radio press at a good discount a while after the model was current. Still, it has a character of its own and is more readily saleable than the standard wooden cased table models of its day. I can't see any current or recently completed eBay listings, but would guess at something in the £30-£50 ballpark for an example in reasonable unrestored condition, as this one appears to be.

Paul
Old 18th Jan 2022, 5:55 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

There was also a Sobell set which employed a similar chassis but was housed in a conventional looking wood cabinet. I remember the frequency changer valve was a 14S7 and a 12J7GT served as a leaky grid detector with reaction.
For output a 35L6GT? and 35Z4 HT rectifier.

DFWB.
Old 18th Jan 2022, 8:48 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Ugly enough to be desirable

Ed
Old 18th Jan 2022, 8:52 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
There was also a Sobell set which employed a similar chassis but was housed in a conventional looking wood cabinet. I remember the frequency changer valve was a 14S7 and a 12J7GT served as a leaky grid detector with reaction.

DFWB.
This one?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sobell_430.html

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Jan 2022, 9:07 pm   #8
johnshep
Diode

All
Thanks for your replies, I now feel confident that I will be giving the museum good advice.
Being an accredited museum they have to go through a set procedure if they want to remove something from the collection and have to dispose of it in a transparent way, so it is important that the reasons are sound.

Thanks again.

John S
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:14 am   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
DFWB.
This one? https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sobell_430.html
Cheers
Mike T
That's the one.

DFWB.
Old 19th Jan 2022, 11:25 am   #10
newlite4
Octode

These sets are desirable in terms of their "machine age" design, they featured in the V&A vintage radio exhibition in 1977. They are otherwise known as the "radiator set" because of their resemblance to the central heating radiators of the time.
Neil
Old 19th Jan 2022, 1:29 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

As with most cult and designer items this is a poor example of an actual working radio.
I am a big supporter of Sobell but this was not very good as a receiver, very local station but that was the general idea I suppose. I have a couple including a kitchen cabinet green one! Have you noticed that the design of the handle appears to be reversed and awkward for actual carrying?

OK as a design feature it is probably unique but so was the C5. John.
Closed Thread