UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2022, 6:08 pm   #1
mancunian69
Pentode

Default SABA automatic nightmare

Guys,
I sold a Meersburg 7 to a customer about 5 years ago that was working just fine.

He sent it back to me last week for it had developed some problems.

Anyway, long story short, the set had been extensively re capped, including the motor drive caps, which had to be made up or 2 or 3 separate caps of nearest value in parallel.

The clutch mechanism was out of adjustment.

I have spent all weekend studying the drive mechanism on this set, I have now managed to get both AM and FM tuning dials working end to end without clutch slip.
I did this by simply fitting a fiber washer on the AM end ofthe shaft just in front of the circlip on the tuning shaft. By doing this, the endfloat on the drum has now been reduced or eliminated, giving better grip with no slippage.

Now, I now have both AM and FM dials working end to end nice and smooth, having cleaned and lubed it to death.

The problem I have now is that in search mode the dial goes past stations without stopping, on all but one or 2 strong stations, but in one direction only.
Could it be that it going too fast to stop?

I fast traverse mode everything is fine, nice and smooth from one end to the other.

I would like any info from any member that has ever worked on these auto sets who can maybe help me out. I cant believe how complicated they are.
I know from experience that the alignment procedure for any auto is the same, regardless of which model it is.

Thanks in advance
Michael
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 11:32 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: SABA automatic nightmare

Morning Michael.
I have 2 Saba Meersburg 7s Autos and have to say when working they are the Rolls Royce of the Saba radios for me. But boy when they are not working right they are hard to work on i spent weeks restring one with rope and wire drive change all the Capacitors and the motor caps. Please go to the Private Saba radio Forum you will see lots of Threads on the meerburg 7 auto and i am sure they can help you.
Regards
Kevin.
Ps when i repaired the clutch on my radio i used leather from some old work boots, still working today. please keep us posted. You can see my Thread on the restring the 7 auto on this Forum.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 7:54 pm   #3
mancunian69
Pentode

Thanks for that.

Please send me a link to that forum. I have had a look, but can't find it.

I'm determined to get this set back working again.

Michael
Old 24th Jan 2022, 10:27 am   #4
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Morning Michael.
Go to ( Saba-forum.dl2jas.com ) and join the Forum.

Kevin.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 3:27 pm   #5
mancunian69
Pentode

Ok, thanks for that.
Closed Thread