UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2011, 11:12 pm   #1
antcus
Retired Dormant Member

Default Battery eliminator power supply

I am in the process of building the power supply described on this site, but am getting confused about the polarity of the capacitors as shown in the pictorial. The capacitors have a band at one end, but they seem to be connected to the positive side even though the band usually indicated the negative side of a capacitor? Where am I getting confused?
I have been building and repairing radios since I was 9 years old, and cannot figure out what is confusing me in such a simple circuit.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 11:21 pm   #2
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Battery eliminator power supply

Please post a picture of the caps. mny Philips axial caps of the 70s had a black band close to the +ve terminal.

Al
Old 13th Sep 2011, 8:50 pm   #3
antcus
Retired Dormant Member

It is not a picture, just go to the "Things to make" section of this site and you will see a drawing with these lines showing. Just let me know if you have made out where my difficulty lies.

Yes i can imagine how you discovered the capacitor polarity....you were playing with popping fireworks were'nt you??
Old 13th Sep 2011, 9:14 pm   #4
Amraduk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcus View Post
It is not a picture, just go to the "Things to make" section of this site and you will see a drawing with these lines showing. Just let me know if you have made out where my difficulty lies.
Are you referring to the drawing in the attachment? If so, the bands indicate the positive terminal of the capacitors (and shouldn't be confused with the band on the actual capacitors which is close the the negative terminal), it's an unusual way of showing the polarity but I guess that's just the way the author does it!

Regards,

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psu-layout.gif
Views:	224
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	56191  
Old 14th Sep 2011, 7:50 pm   #5
antcus
Retired Dormant Member

Thank heaven for that. I got so confused, and I knew it was all about nothing. I would say VERY UNUSUAL that the author has used this designation to indicate the positive. Now I can build it with peace of mind

Thanks a lot David. You did a great job to reassure my ageing mind!!! LOL
Old 14th Sep 2011, 8:12 pm   #6
Amraduk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by antcus View Post
Thanks a lot David. You did a great job to reassure my ageing mind!!! LOL
You're welcome. Glad to be of some help!

Regards,

Dave.
Old 19th Sep 2011, 7:44 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Didn't Philips blue axial electrolytics have a crimp indent just inboard of the sealing disc at the positive end which would look rather like the capacitors depicted in the sketch referenced? Complete with black line at the negative end too!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axial lead.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	56379  
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread