UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:41 pm   #41
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Default Re: 12 Inch Colour TV's.

There appears to be an actual 12 inch colour TV - the Sony KV1222 which looks 80s-90s and perhaps only made for the US market. Youtuber Shango066 shows such a set.

EDIT: The full model code is KV1222R and the example shown in the video is dated 1982.

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 3rd Apr 2019 at 11:02 pm.
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 10:51 pm   #42
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton_mallard View Post
There appears to be an actual 12 inch colour TV - the Sony KV1222 which looks 80s-90s and perhaps only made for the US market. Youtuber Shango066 shows such a set.
Thanks for letting me know.

Since I started this thread I've bought a Toshiba 10" colour set, which must have been one of the smallest colour sets available in the UK in the mid 1980s apart from the 5-6 inch portables JVC, Sony & possible some others made at the time.

Often these could be switched between standards, which was useful for travellers in the days when not all hotels had TVs in the rooms.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 2:26 am   #43
Otari5050
Pentode

For some reason a 12" tube was never a common size. They jumped from 11" to 13".
National / Panasonic did an 11" TV - the TC-1100. I have a couple of them, very cool little set. I have been thinking about fitting a Freeview decoder board inside one of them, which would enable it to work as an off-air TV again - and would give remote capability which the set never had.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b0da70c9f3b4836c82e22b69c988802b.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	185184   Click image for larger version

Name:	panasonic_monitori_01.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	185185  
Old 16th Jun 2019, 1:49 pm   #44
AC/HL
Dekatron

Possibly because they're actually measured in cm, and 12 is a fraction?
Also three different sizes so close is an overkill.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 3:55 am   #45
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
There was an eleven inch CRT colour TV set. The GE Porta Color. Sold in Germany as a Kuba Portacolor.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/ge_portacolor.html

DFWB.
I saw the schematic on the Kuba version. The only items that were furnished by GE, USA was the cabinet, CRT, yoke, convergence assembly.
The chassis was of German origin using all European valves and of course PAL circuitry. Nothing to write home about.
The picture quality was never that great because of the large size holes in the shadow mask and the large color dots used. The original CRT type number was 11SP22.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 9:20 am   #46
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It wasn't PAL deluxe but simple PAL - i.e.no delay line. They reckoned, probably correctly, that because the CRT was small, and as stated above the pitch of the CRT wasn't great, that most people wouldn't know the difference.
Of course heat was the great problem here and they were never that reliable. Kuba also made the 26" 110-degree Florence which actually was quite a decent set.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 5:46 pm   #47
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
It wasn't PAL deluxe but simple PAL - i.e.no delay line. They reckoned, probably correctly, that because the CRT was small, and as stated above the pitch of the CRT wasn't great, that most people wouldn't know the difference.
Of course heat was the great problem here and they were never that reliable. Kuba also made the 26" 110-degree Florence which actually was quite a decent set.
I have three examples of the GE version that were built toward the end of the run. One is a 1974 and two are from 1977/78, the last issue of them. They came out with the solid-state version afterward. These models had a slightly better picture because of improvements in the CRT design.
Owner's swear that their sets were really reliable!
Closed Thread