UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2021, 9:50 pm   #1
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default ABC Weekend Television.

Many fond memories of ABC and "Diddy" David Hamilton's continuity etc.
But I did a double take when I saw what looked very much like the ABC logo on a jacket or fleece behind an interviewee on Sky News, during a piece about how the Scottish skiing industry is faring during the pandemic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	abc weekend.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	224017Click image for larger version

Name:	ITV_logo_ABC_2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	224018

Has someone "borrowed" this piece of television history?
Old 7th Jan 2021, 10:05 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: ABC Weekend Television.

Probably coincidence, given that the jacket logo has the edges of the triangles parallel to each other whereas ABCs taper towards the outer corners. It would be interesting, however, to know what the jacket's logo signifies.
Old 7th Jan 2021, 11:57 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

Looks like (ABC symbol) SECURITY LTD.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 7th Jan 2021, 12:10 pm   #4
SteveCG
Nonode

ABC TV

Aaah, memories of ITA, Winter Hill on the Fringe ...
Old 7th Jan 2021, 12:48 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Having looked at web site, their logo appears to be simply the letters A B C in a box (see below).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ABC security.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	224042  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 12:53 pm   #6
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Its not an E it’s 3 dashes but could I agree be a stylised E.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CC8A1100-1050-4C6C-988D-F33B99020096.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	224043  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 1:00 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Reebok?

My nephew has Reebok hockey-gear.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reebok-vector-logo.png
Views:	46
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	224044  
Old 7th Jan 2021, 1:19 pm   #8
whiskas
Octode

It's interesting how so many logos are based on a trio of similar shapes or patterns..
Old 7th Jan 2021, 4:02 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

There's this Blackpool Heritage Tram.

Name:	abc tram.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	224057
I wonder if the colours were defined by the original company, or were assigned arbitrarily later.
Old 7th Jan 2021, 4:20 pm   #10
dazzlevision
Dekatron

ABC Television's ITV weekend Midlands and North regions franchises ceased in July 1968, so over a year before ITV began colour broadcasting in November 1969. However, ABC may well have made programmes in colour, so the Blackpool tram logo colour scheme might be correct.

ABC did continue to have an interest in an ITV franchise, as they were the majority shareholder in Thames Television (with Rediffusion). Thames began the London weekday franchise in July 1968 (taking over from Rediffusion).
Old 7th Jan 2021, 4:26 pm   #11
saddlestone-man
Hexode

Here's an advert from the July 1962 issue of Meccano Magazine, showing the ABC TV Outside Broadcast Unit models.

Were these the correct colours for the time?

best regards ... Stef
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dinky outside broadcast unit MM July 62.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	224060  
Old 8th Jan 2021, 11:51 am   #12
Junk Box Nick
Octode

It made me think of my favourite chocolate in the Quality Street tin.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 2:12 pm   #13
Aub
Nonode

Don't remember ABC at all. When I was a kid, it was ATV round here.

Cheers

Aub
Old 8th Jan 2021, 4:25 pm   #14
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I remember when in the early 60s we got a new TV to replace the single channel BBC-only set bought for the Coronation, Channel 8 (Lichfield) was ATV during weekdays and ABC at weekends. (BBC (1) was Channel 4 Sutton Coldfield).

I can’t remember when ABC went, but I would guess Sunday Night at the London Palladium with Bruce Forsyth was an ABC show. I’m struggling to remember any other programmes but it made a welcome change to the dreary moral/religious discussion stuff (Meeting Point, etc.) and miserable serialised Dickens novels that seemed such a feature of our previous Sunday night viewing.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 4:37 pm   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

it was always ATV in my time; I can remember mid-60s going round to a friend's house to watch Batman on saturday early-evening - they lived about a mile away from us and while we got a totally-unwatchable ITV signal from Lichfield (blocked by The Wrekin) the ITV signal at their house was just fine.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 4:50 pm   #16
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Many fond memories of ABC and "Diddy" David Hamilton's continuity etc.
But I did a double take when I saw what looked very much like the ABC logo on a jacket or fleece behind an interviewee on Sky News, during a piece about how the Scottish skiing industry is faring during the pandemic.

Attachment 224017Attachment 224018

Has someone "borrowed" this piece of television history?
Meanwhile, fill your boots £5 per 'night in'

https://watch.networkonair.com/c/nights-in
Old 8th Jan 2021, 4:53 pm   #17
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
I remember when in the early 60s we got a new TV to replace the single channel BBC-only set bought for the Coronation, Channel 8 (Lichfield) was ATV during weekdays and ABC at weekends. (BBC (1) was Channel 4 Sutton Coldfield).

I can’t remember when ABC went, but I would guess Sunday Night at the London Palladium with Bruce Forsyth was an ABC show. I’m struggling to remember any other programmes but it made a welcome change to the dreary moral/religious discussion stuff (Meeting Point, etc.) and miserable serialised Dickens novels that seemed such a feature of our previous Sunday night viewing.
SNATLP was an ATV show. ABC did a similarish variety show from Blackpool, they also made ‘The Avengers’ - originally from Didsbury. ABC and ATV shared a local transmission centre at Aston in Birmingham.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 5:04 pm   #18
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
"Sunday Night at the London Palladium" was an ATV production. Some ABC shows were continued by Thames Television, such as "Public Eye". Both shows are currently being shown on Talking Pictures TV (Freeview channel 81).

Thames TV also took over ABC's Teddington (Middlesex) studios.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 6:16 pm   #19
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I remember Public Eye from the early days - my father liked it. I didn’t realise it was an ABC programme. I remember some of it was shot around Birmingham – there was one scene at a training session at Aston Villa’s ground. I remember another episode where Frank Marker (Alfred Burke) tracked down a bigamist played by Peter Sallis. That was the first production in which I’d seen Sallis but he was so distinctive that for years to me he was “that bloke with all the wives”.

As has always been the case, the transmission companies would buy from any and all of the others to fill their schedules, especially as some were small operations. The only thing I remember from Border was Mr & Mrs and only Sale of the Century and Survival from Anglia.

Back to logos – this is a tricky area and it is a risky business designing them as the chances are someone somewhere has produced something similar at some point, and proving that it has not been plagarised is difficult. Comparisons of similar logos, sometimes for quite large companies used to crop up in Design Week magazine.

The other now defunct logo I remember from those days is the circular spikey Rediffusion logo.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 12:09 pm   #20
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
I remember Public Eye from the early days - my father liked it. I didn’t realise it was an ABC programme. I remember some of it was shot around Birmingham – there was one scene at a training session at Aston Villa’s ground. I remember another episode where Frank Marker (Alfred Burke) tracked down a bigamist played by Peter Sallis. That was the first production in which I’d seen Sallis but he was so distinctive that for years to me he was “that bloke with all the wives”.

As has always been the case, the transmission companies would buy from any and all of the others to fill their schedules, especially as some were small operations. The only thing I remember from Border was Mr & Mrs and only Sale of the Century and Survival from Anglia.

Back to logos – this is a tricky area and it is a risky business designing them as the chances are someone somewhere has produced something similar at some point, and proving that it has not been plagarised is difficult. Comparisons of similar logos, sometimes for quite large companies used to crop up in Design Week magazine.

The other now defunct logo I remember from those days is the circular spikey Rediffusion logo.
I think I’m right in saying Public Eye was initially produced in and around Birmingham as ABC had an OB unit(s) based there together with studio facilities at Aston. Post 1968 when Thames was producing the programme it was based in Brighton, then the Windsor area - again for practical production reasons.

Victor Lewis-Smith bought the rights to Associated Rediffusion and owns the rights to the logo.
Closed Thread