UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2020, 3:35 pm   #21
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Large GPO? Battery Box what was its use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXITNOW View Post
i have a couple of smaller one not sure if they were used for batteries but they did have a 2 way tag block on them.
Tag blocks were not on originally. I have several of these boxes of varying sizes and no evidence of tagblocks (one in the photo is not a type found on GPO type kit externally). The Vocabulary of Engineering Stores mentions terminal blocks on the range of boxes for the 'wet' leclanche cells but not on those for dry cells which yours is.
Old 28th Nov 2020, 6:31 pm   #22
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
That sounds like the 'Box, Battery No 10' that I mentioned earlier.
It is listed by the GPO as - 'Box, Battery, for 10 dry cells' - the cells being listed as 'Cells Leclanche, DR2' (dry round 2 5/8 dia by 7in high) later replaced by 'Cells Dry R40' (2 5/8in. dia by 6 in. high)
I took the name from the N diagram N4507 (covers Plan 105). See note 6 on the first page of the version on Sam Hallas's site.
Old 29th Nov 2020, 4:25 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Towards the end of his life my father worked as a linesman for the GPO. He drove the 'polecat' lorry from around 1959-62.

He used to bring these boxes home that were being removed from the telephone exchanges. Some were long as the posted pic and some shorter. They were lined with what appeared to be paraffin wax with a heavy brass thumbscrew type terminal at one end.
A few had some very thin GPO telephone wires still connected to the terminals.
I think they were left behind when the house was sold in 2000. They made excellent tool boxes but over engineered! John.
Closed Thread