UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2021, 5:37 pm   #21
broadgage
Nonode

Default Re: Capacity of desiccant

As has already been said, these desiccant packs can be regenerated by heating to about 120 degrees. This can be done in a domestic electric oven. I advise against use of a gas oven as the combustion of the gas produces moisture.

Regeneration at lower temperatures such as by placing on a central heating radiator is possible but less effective as only a proportion of the moisture is removed at the lower temperature.

The amount of water removed by a given sized of desiccant pack is very variable according to the relative humidity. More moisture is removed at 80% RH than at 20%.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 5:39 pm   #22
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Remember though that the military-radios were in hermetically-sealed diecast cases with O-ring seals and waterproof glands on the control-spindles - rated for several hours total immersion in water - and were purged with dry-air before the desiccant-cartridges were fitted.

Unless your proposed bags are airtight, and you purge with dry-air before sealing, I'd suggest using a _lot_ more desiccant.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 5:45 pm   #23
GMB
Dekatron

To definitively check the storage, just include one of the cheap humidity gauges inside the bag. I got a load at a rally (those were the days).

Quote:
If you have any woodies be aware that very low humidity will dry out the wood.
I think you have a big problem with wood. In a slightly different context, I made a thing to go in a sealed box that was to work outside. I stupidly made a bit of it from wood. After getting the sun on it and then cooling, the effect was that the wood pumped its water out where it condensed in places it wasn't wanted. I was amazed how bad this turned out to be.

When I was a child my father made me put all my stuff in a similar unheated building and everything was wrecked. That is why I have a house full of stuff and no sheds at all!
Closed Thread