UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2003, 11:28 pm   #1
jgaryk
Retired Dormant Member

Default How to restore lettering on control knobs

I just got an Avo 8 and some of the white paint has worn off the range knob values. What's the best way to redo this? TIA, Gary
Old 12th Nov 2003, 11:52 pm   #2
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: How to restore lettering on AVO knobs

Hi, a tip givn to me by a professional meter technician is to use Tip ex you can wipe it in and the surplus comes off with a damp cloth. I have tried it and it does work quite well, good luck

Mike

[Tip ex is the little bottles of white stuff that typists use to correct mistakes.]

Last edited by Duke_Nukem; 16th Feb 2005 at 2:04 pm.
Old 13th Nov 2003, 9:58 am   #3
jgaryk
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,

Thanks for clarifying that. Here [in Canada] it's " White-Out " , " Snopaque " or " Liquid Paper " .

Gary

Last edited by Duke_Nukem; 16th Feb 2005 at 2:05 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2003, 12:48 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

One way to do this is to thoroughly clean any remains of the original markings by scrubbing under water, then to sparingly paint over the markings with oil-based white enamel. Immediately wipe with a rag soaked in white spirit, then repeat this an hour later with a clean rag.
IMPORTANT - Wipe towards edge of knob so you do not get paint in knurlings
This should leave the markings OK, but faint white smears on top of the knob
Leave for a couple of days to harden, and polish off smears with metal polish or cutting compound. Wash off.
Mike
Old 18th Nov 2003, 6:12 pm   #5
jmshep

There is a product called " lacquer stik " which is a fill in paint. It comes in a solid stick wrapped in paper like a soft crayon.
Available from Old Time Supplies
I have used it successfully on a range of equipment.

Last edited by Duke_Nukem; 16th Feb 2005 at 2:07 pm. Reason: Made Old time Supplies a link

Old 20th Dec 2003, 9:18 pm   #6
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Just recently cleaned up an AVO 8 (only superficial dirt). After finishing everything else I used a cocktail stick (toothpick) to clean out old markings on the knobs and refilled with an ordinary white wax crayon then just rubbed over with a clean cloth until the excess vanished leaving perfect white markings.

I was dead chuffed. The AVO looks like new.
Jim
Old 24th Dec 2003, 4:22 am   #7
Alan_Douglas
Retired Dormant Member

Lacquer-Stiks are very close to the original material: oil-based paint that hardens over time and turns slightly yellow. I believe they're available at Antique Electronic Supply. I have red, green, gold and black, and an off-white that doesn't look so out of place on a 1920s set.
I also use engraver's enamel bought from New Hermes in New York City.
Old 24th Dec 2003, 4:36 pm   #8
adrian
Retired Dormant Member

Picking up a discarded Avo-8 from the 'to-do' pile, I tried this tip with a white chinagraph pencil. Results were very good but, as noted by others, there is a residue on the surface that needs to be polished off.

At least Avo knobs have proper, good, deep engravings and don't use printed panels like some gear out there!
Old 20th Jul 2004, 1:24 pm   #9
pmmunro
Octode

The 'Official' method set out in Avo service manuals is to use cellulose paint (car touch-up paint). Overfill the engravings - that is, don't worry too much about completely covering them. Leave to set for about 24 hours then carefully rub with a cloth dampened with methylated spirit (Wood alcohol in the USA, I believe). The excess paint rubs off to leave the filled engravings as new.

Do NOT allow surplus paint to enter the graining of the front panel or knurling of the knobs as it is difficult to remove.

Finish the front panel with a light 'dressing' of light machine oil ( 3 in 1 or similar in the UK ). Carefully rub with a lint free cloth.

PMM
Closed Thread